Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin 4.x Upgrade Instructions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• vBulletin 4.x Upgrade Instructions

From time to time it will be necessary to upgrade your vBulletin installation to the latest version, either to gain new features or to fix newly discovered bugs in PHP, MySQL or vBulletin itself.

You can upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin from the following vBulletin versions:
    • Any version of vBulletin 3.7 or 3.8 to the current version.
    • Any previous version of vBulletin 3, from version 3.0.0 Beta 3 to version 3.8.4
    • Any version of vBulletin 2 from version 2.2.9 and newer. If your vBulletin version is older than 2.2.9, you will need to upgrade to at least vBulletin 2.2.9 before you can upgrade to vBulletin 3.

Note that due to the number of changes being made to the database and back end functionality of version 4, we recommend that anyone running a version prior to 3.7 upgrades to version 3.8.4 first before moving to version 4.
    The upgrade process differs depending upon the version of vBulletin currently installed on your web server. Sites running vBulletin 2 will need to follow slightly different instructions from sites already running vBulletin 3 and upgrading to the latest version. For instructions on upgrading from version 2.x or 3.x to another version of vBulletin 3, please see this section of the vBulletin Online Manual.

• Trevor Hannant
      Trevor Hannant commented
      Editing a comment
      Most, if not pretty well all (sensible) FTP software will overwrite only what's being uploaded. Anything that's not being overwritten will remain. Certainly every software I've used does this. For example, if on my server I have FolderA with contents:

- filea.php (dated 1/1/2012)
      - fileb.php (dated 1/1/2012)
      - filec.php (dated 1/1/2012)

...and I upload a new copy of FolderA that only has:

- filea.php (dated 2/2/2012)
      - fileb.php (dated 2/2/2012)

The resulting FolderA on my server will contain:

- filea.php (dated 2/2/2012)
      - fileb.php (dated 2/2/2012)
      - filec.php (dated 1/1/2012)

That's how FTP software SHOULD be dealign with uploading - only overwriting the files that it's uploading leaving the others intact. I'd go through your software's settings and make sure there's not some bizarre option in there somewhere...

• eggman
      eggman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Trevor and Zachary. Thank you... I have been traveling but will give a try later. Indeed, I think I have always had my client (FETCH) configured to overwrite and will check the settings. I just want to not screw up my upgrade effort. It has never been a problem - Alternatively if I drop the contents of the folder (not the root folder itself) it will only overwrite files with the same name and leaves others intact as you describe.

• ddrum
      ddrum commented
      Editing a comment
      Can someone please make a step by step video tutorial of how to do that upgrade? Please! I beg of you. I learn better with video and that would really help from someone who knows how to do this!

Thank you so much - Jasper - where are you?

Deborah
    Posting comments is disabled.

About the Author

Collapse

Trevor Hannant Find out more about Trevor Hannant

Article Tags

Collapse

advanced (5) album (1) android (2) api (29) array (17) beginner (17) blog (4) bloginfo (1) calendar (2) cms (2) forum (3) forums (4) https (1) Intermediate (7) iphone (3) mapi (30) methods (10) mobile (34) security (2) ssl certificate (1) style (2) threadbits (1) threads (4) vb5howto (5) vBulletin (5)

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Welcome to the new CMS. Read me first.
    Don Kuramura
    Welcome to the new CMS. Here's a quick guide of the different areas of this page.

1. Section Navigation Widget. This widget allows you to go to different sections. The "plus icon" means that this section has sub-sections. Clicking on the "plus icon" will display the sub-sections.
    Tue 11th Mar '14, 3:04pm
  • Promoting Articles from the Forums
    Don Kuramura
    One of the innovative new features on vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite is the cross-publishing "Promote to Article" functionality.

In the spirit of promoting content discovery, we wanted to create features that will allow content to flow between Forums, Blogs, and Articles. For example, there might be a really popular post in the forums, but unfortunately it is buried inside page 13 of a thread. We will now have an option (if you have permissions) to “promote” a forum (or blog) post as a new article on the homepage.

Here's how it works:
    1: Users with permissions to publish a forum...
  • How to Create a New Article
    Don Kuramura
    Here's a quick visual guide on how to create a new article with the CMS.

1. Create New Article Button: Navigate to the section you want the article to be published in. Click on the “Create a New Article” button. This will open an article form.

2. Article Title: In the "Add/Edit Article" screen, enter the title of your article in the “Title” textbox.
  • Managing CMS Section and Content
    Don Kuramura
    Here's a quick Visual Guide on how Manage Sections in the new CMS.

1. Editing a Section: If you have permissions to manage a Section, as you hover over the Section title, a pencil icon will display.

After clicking the pencil icon, you will be taken to the Section Edit page. Here's what you will see:

2. Section Name:
    Enter the Section Name
    3. SEO URL Alias: This is the SEO Friendly URL. By default, if this is blank, the system will automatically copy the section title.
    4. Section Layout: For each section you can define an individual section layout.
  • Recovering a hacked vBulletin Site
    TheLastSuperman
    Symptoms

Having your site hacked is something no owner wants to experience due to the fact it takes quite a bit of effort to fix, often times requiring payment to a experienced third-party when a owner feels inundated by the sheer amount of work required to troubleshoot and remedy the situation.
    • Site has been defaced - This is the most blatant form of hacking where your sites pages have been replaced with a very disruptive and sometimes rude message from the hacker themselves.
    • Error Messages - These can vary from extra text on the page all the way up to database errors that do not allow the page to display properly.
    • Odd behavior - If your site is simply acting up, it seems to have began out of nowhere and you've checked with your host in regards to recent changes and none have been made it's quite possible you have been hacked. *Redirects to external sites, inability to post (database errors, blank pages etc), and anything that simply seems "odd".

Initial Steps

Tue 12th Jun '12, 2:37am
  • Issues After Upgrading
    TheLastSuperman
    If your running a completely default forum upgrading is a very simple process. Many sites however run third-party add-ons and even use a custom style therefor when things change between older and newer
    Thu 24th May '12, 1:02pm
Working...
X