Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade to 4.0 or wait?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Should I upgrade to 4.0 or wait?

Yes, of course! But.... when should you upgrade? Upgrading any major software platform should be carefully thought through beforehand; for many of you, vBulletin is the heart of your site. Here are some things to consider when upgrading:

1. Have you installed any plugins or products? If so, check http://www.vbulletin.org (or your vendor's web site) to make sure there is a new, compatible version of your plugin before upgrading. You'll need to decide if the addon is critical to your board. If not, you will likely need to disable the plugin when you upgrade, until a newer version is available.

2. Have you installed a custom theme or made any other major visual customizations to your site? The major improvements we made to the template system and the new XHTML site structure will cause most 3.x series themes to break. Check out
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php?143-StyleVar-Visual-Dictionary-for-Forum-Blog-and-CMS-PDF-Documents
    for inspiration and education on how to work with the new system.

3. Are you planning on doing a major new design or design upgrade for your 4.0 forum? There are some minor changes to the organization and conventions in the CSS style sheets in the 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 releases (the weeks of January 4 - 8 and January 18 - 22, respectively) that may affect any designs you do today. Bear in mind that this is a brand new major version release of the product and we're still assimilating feedback on what's best for our designers and skinners.

4. Are you running a big board? We know that upgrading a big board can be complicated and has its own set of issues. Please refer to our installation best practice guide - we are working on creating a section that specifically addresses big board upgrade considerations.

• Blackbook
      Blackbook commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by icarusforde
      You have a right to your opinion.

But I also have the right to say that I think your opinion is wrong.
      unfortunately, he was right though. it does suck. And, a month on, there are still no good looking vb4 skins/styles, private or otherwise.

• GeNeRaL NT
      GeNeRaL NT commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't want upgrade because this tooo much

• jbade
      jbade commented
      Editing a comment
      I am waiting.. and may find an alternative when the time does come..

I don't like the direction the new owners/management are taking this product..
      I don't like the changes to the product in general
      I don't like the new Pricing structure changes/maintenance
      I really don't like the customer support / contact I have had with them

I don't blame people for waiting for the last minute.. they have mods that need to be updated which many not be out yet.. if not they may need a new solution which takes time.. they need to apply new styles.. and customize them. They need to test.. and to tell the truth there is not the same amount of development mods or styles as there were with 3.x . The Majority is clearly not happy..
    Posting comments is disabled.

About the Author

Collapse

Joe Rosenblum Find out more about Joe Rosenblum

Article Tags

Collapse

advanced (5) albums (1) android (2) api (29) array (17) attachment options (1) beginner (17) blog (4) calendar (2) cloud (1) cms (2) create (1) forum (3) forums (4) Intermediate (5) iphone (3) Logo (1) mapi (30) methods (10) mobile (34) poll (1) style (2) threads (4) vb5howto (5) vBulletin (5)

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Welcome to the new CMS. Read me first.
    Don Kuramura
    Welcome to the new CMS. Here's a quick guide of the different areas of this page.

1. Section Navigation Widget. This widget allows you to go to different sections. The "plus icon" means that this section has sub-sections. Clicking on the "plus icon" will display the sub-sections.
    Tue 11th Mar '14, 2:04pm
  • Promoting Articles from the Forums
    Don Kuramura
    One of the innovative new features on vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite is the cross-publishing "Promote to Article" functionality.

In the spirit of promoting content discovery, we wanted to create features that will allow content to flow between Forums, Blogs, and Articles. For example, there might be a really popular post in the forums, but unfortunately it is buried inside page 13 of a thread. We will now have an option (if you have permissions) to “promote” a forum (or blog) post as a new article on the homepage.

Here's how it works:
    1: Users with permissions to publish a forum...
  • How to Create a New Article
    Don Kuramura
    Here's a quick visual guide on how to create a new article with the CMS.

1. Create New Article Button: Navigate to the section you want the article to be published in. Click on the “Create a New Article” button. This will open an article form.

2. Article Title: In the "Add/Edit Article" screen, enter the title of your article in the “Title” textbox.
  • Managing CMS Section and Content
    Don Kuramura
    Here's a quick Visual Guide on how Manage Sections in the new CMS.

1. Editing a Section: If you have permissions to manage a Section, as you hover over the Section title, a pencil icon will display.

After clicking the pencil icon, you will be taken to the Section Edit page. Here's what you will see:

2. Section Name:
    Enter the Section Name
    3. SEO URL Alias: This is the SEO Friendly URL. By default, if this is blank, the system will automatically copy the section title.
    4. Section Layout: For each section you can define an individual section layout.
  • Recovering a hacked vBulletin Site
    TheLastSuperman
    Symptoms

Having your site hacked is something no owner wants to experience due to the fact it takes quite a bit of effort to fix, often times requiring payment to a experienced third-party when a owner feels inundated by the sheer amount of work required to troubleshoot and remedy the situation.
    • Site has been defaced - This is the most blatant form of hacking where your sites pages have been replaced with a very disruptive and sometimes rude message from the hacker themselves.
    • Error Messages - These can vary from extra text on the page all the way up to database errors that do not allow the page to display properly.
    • Odd behavior - If your site is simply acting up, it seems to have began out of nowhere and you've checked with your host in regards to recent changes and none have been made it's quite possible you have been hacked. *Redirects to external sites, inability to post (database errors, blank pages etc), and anything that simply seems "odd".

Initial Steps

Tue 12th Jun '12, 1:37am
  • Issues After Upgrading
    TheLastSuperman
    If your running a completely default forum upgrading is a very simple process. Many sites however run third-party add-ons and even use a custom style therefor when things change between older and newer
    Thu 24th May '12, 12:02pm
Working...
X