Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade to 4.0 or wait?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Should I upgrade to 4.0 or wait?

Yes, of course! But.... when should you upgrade? Upgrading any major software platform should be carefully thought through beforehand; for many of you, vBulletin is the heart of your site. Here are some things to consider when upgrading:

1. Have you installed any plugins or products? If so, check http://www.vbulletin.org (or your vendor's web site) to make sure there is a new, compatible version of your plugin before upgrading. You'll need to decide if the addon is critical to your board. If not, you will likely need to disable the plugin when you upgrade, until a newer version is available.

2. Have you installed a custom theme or made any other major visual customizations to your site? The major improvements we made to the template system and the new XHTML site structure will cause most 3.x series themes to break. Check out
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php?143-StyleVar-Visual-Dictionary-for-Forum-Blog-and-CMS-PDF-Documents
    for inspiration and education on how to work with the new system.

3. Are you planning on doing a major new design or design upgrade for your 4.0 forum? There are some minor changes to the organization and conventions in the CSS style sheets in the 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 releases (the weeks of January 4 - 8 and January 18 - 22, respectively) that may affect any designs you do today. Bear in mind that this is a brand new major version release of the product and we're still assimilating feedback on what's best for our designers and skinners.

4. Are you running a big board? We know that upgrading a big board can be complicated and has its own set of issues. Please refer to our installation best practice guide - we are working on creating a section that specifically addresses big board upgrade considerations.

• Blackbook
      Blackbook commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by icarusforde
      You have a right to your opinion.

But I also have the right to say that I think your opinion is wrong.
      unfortunately, he was right though. it does suck. And, a month on, there are still no good looking vb4 skins/styles, private or otherwise.

• GeNeRaL NT
      GeNeRaL NT commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't want upgrade because this tooo much

• jbade
      jbade commented
      Editing a comment
      I am waiting.. and may find an alternative when the time does come..

I don't like the direction the new owners/management are taking this product..
      I don't like the changes to the product in general
      I don't like the new Pricing structure changes/maintenance
      I really don't like the customer support / contact I have had with them

I don't blame people for waiting for the last minute.. they have mods that need to be updated which many not be out yet.. if not they may need a new solution which takes time.. they need to apply new styles.. and customize them. They need to test.. and to tell the truth there is not the same amount of development mods or styles as there were with 3.x . The Majority is clearly not happy..
    Posting comments is disabled.

About the Author

Collapse

Joe Rosenblum Find out more about Joe Rosenblum

Article Tags

Collapse

advanced (5) android (2) api (29) array (17) attachment options (1) beginner (17) blog (4) calendar (2) cms (2) connect (1) forum (3) forums (4) Intermediate (5) iphone (3) mapi (30) methods (10) mobile (34) sections (1) style (2) sub-forums (1) thread (1) threadbits (1) threads (4) vb5howto (5) vBulletin (5)

Latest Articles

Collapse

• vB 4.0: Template Merging and 3-Way Comparison
    Mike Sullivan
    One of the most common complaints about vBulletin's upgrade process is applying the template changes. While the template history feature helped a little bit, it didn't go far enough. vBulletin 4.0 will introduce a feature to make applying template changes much easier: automatic merging and 3-way comparison. Whenever you upgrade, we will automatically look for templates that have changed and see if you customized those templates. If you have, we will automatically try to merge the changes in. If this succeeds, you won't have anything else to do (in most cases). If it fails, your customized template won't be updated--like in vBulletin 3--and you'...
    Tue 15th May '12, 10:08am
  • vBulletin 4.x upgrade process for large vBulletin forums
    George L
    Basically, you upgrade on a copy of your live database so as to leave live database untouched in case you mess up the upgrade.

eva2000's upgrade process

My vB 3.8.x to vB 4.1.x upgrade process which I personally use myself as well as for private paying clients is as follows and assumes:
    1. you have ssh2 telnet access
    2. your vB 3.x forums are only using MySQL default MyISAM/Memory tables with NO InnoDB tables
    3. you have enough free disk space to hold all the backups approximately 3x to 6x times the size of your forum database/files/attachments in free disk space.
    4. public root directory = /home/username/public_html
    5. live database name = livedbname
    6. new databasename name = newdbname

Step 1. Tune php and mysql settings specifically for backup, restore and upgrade process. Tune mysql to ensure enough memory is allocated to buffers to speed things up, increase timeout values for mysql to ensure no mysql timeouts and for php. Ensure mysql server has InnoDB support disabled otherwise you’ll have to deal with InnoDB tuning parameters before you start as vB4 automatically converts 6 tables to InnoDB if mysql server has InnoDB support enabled. Read the reasons of how and why you’d want InnoDB support disabled in my blog post at http://vbtechsupport.com/675/ and if you do decide to use InnoDB storage engine for some database tables, I’d also look at upgrading your MySQL...
    Sat 2nd Jul '11, 9:42pm
  • Best Upgrade Procedure
    Jasper Aguila
    The main purpose of this guide is to help seamlessly transition your community to a new system without it resulting in anger, confusion, and stress for both you and your users. Though this is targeted more towards major software upgrades (vBulletin 3 to vBulletin 4), the same concepts apply to any upgrade.

1.) Questions/Answers
    1. Why am I upgrading?
    2. Do I need to upgrade? (old software, security issues, etc…)
    3. What’s in it for my community and I?
    4. How will upgrading my software benefit my community vs. negatively impacting it?
    5. How will my users react to the upgrade?
    6. What old features will I lose vs. what I will gain?
    7. How should I style my site to fit the general feel of my old style?
    8. What resources will I need to get the ball rolling?
    9. How much time and money will
    Mon 21st Mar '11, 12:48pm
  • Upgrading vBulletin 3 to vBulletin 4 with New Upgrader
    Jasper Aguila
    Hello fellow admins,

This is a video tutorial showcasing the new upgrader while teaching you how to easily upgrade from vBulletin version 3 to 4.

Tue 18th Jan '11, 9:48pm
  • "Hands-Free" Installations and Upgrades
    Wayne Luke
    If you are familiar with vBulletin, then you have seen our install and upgrade scripts. They can be time consuming and frustrating especially on larger boards. For vBulletin 4.0.9, we have updated these
    Mon 25th Oct '10, 7:12am
  • How To Patch Your Site
    Trevor Hannant
    From time to time, it's necessary to issue a Security Patch (or Patch Level) release for vBulletin software. This differs from the normal upgrade routine so this short article will clarify exactly what needs to be done when we announce a Patch Level (PL) release.
    Thu 1st Jul '10, 6:28am
Working...
X