• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rturo
    • Aug 2009
    • 3.8.x

Using Impex to upload CSV file?

Hey there,

We have a new vbulletin forum that we want to upload a csv file of usernames and emails to our forum so they all don't have to re-register. Well i've read the manual and cannot see how to do so. We've uploaded Impex and got it working, but there isn't a csv option in the dropdown menu when you select Import -> Import.

There is a .txt portion, but when I select that and tell the program where the file is on the server all I get is a NOT OK in red beside it and nothing imports.

It seems crazy to me that vbulletin cannot upload a simple csv file.

I also have a .sql file from our older elgg site but that format isn't supported by Impex as well.

Any help?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You use the text file import module. It does work if you use the correct location for the file and it's in the correct format. What are you doing exactly?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rturo
      • Aug 2009
      • 3.8.x

Lets see.

I click Import => Import
      Select the start module
      Select .txt from the dropdown list
      I enter in the full url for the file that is on the server. I also tried just doing the part after the .com - /forums/testvb/users.csv
      After trying to import it always says NOT OK

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

That is not a valid path to that file. Use the full and complete path to the directory containing your backup. On Unix/Linux systems you can find the complete path name by telnetting or sshing into your server, going to that directory and typing:

pwd

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rturo
          • Aug 2009
          • 3.8.x

So if I upload the file to the server and put in the import section the location of the file - for example http://mysitename/forums/backup.csv, this won't work?

I am unfamiliar with the other way you describe, but I'll see what I can do.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

No, you do not use a URL. You use the path to this file on the server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...