Some of the most common ways to setup individual forums include:
- Category – this is a forum that people cannot post in; it is just used for grouping other forums. Act as Forum must be set to no.
- 'Normal' Forum – this is simply a regular forum that people can post in. You will need Act as Forum, Forum is Active, and Forum is Open set to yes.
- 'Sub' Forum – this is a regular forum that people can post in and is a subset of a 'Normal' Forum. You will need Parent Forum set to the name of the Forum this will fall under, Act as Forum, Forum is Active, and Forum is Open set to yes.
- Link Forum – this really is not a forum at all. It is just a link to another web page; it could be another forum, or it could be an entirely different site. To create this type of forum, specify a URL in the Forum Link option.
- Archive Forum – this forum was once a 'Normal Forum', but is now just used as an archive for old information. Set Forum is Open to no.