In vBulletin you have the choice of storing attachments in your site database or file system.
By default vBulletin stores attachments in the database, because every server that supports vBulletin can use this method. However, not every server can store attachments in the file system.
Following are some factors to consider in choosing which storage method to use.
Storing Attachments in the Database
- Backing up your database also backs up your attachments
- Does not consume any of your file system storage limits (unless MySQL storage counts)
- Can increase server load on large sites
- Better performance for large sites
- Easier to back up your database
- Does not work if SAFE MODE is enabled on your server
- Need to back up attachments separately from database
- Consumes space on your file system