Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glock21
    • Apr 2002

Dump of database

I am unable to use telnet to switch servers and am using phpmyadmin instead. Would anyone have the proper way to save the database and upload it to the new server, as I have no clue how to use this program?
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

Re: Dump of database

Originally posted by Glock21
    I am unable to use telnet to switch servers and am using phpmyadmin instead. Would anyone have the proper way to save the database and upload it to the new server, as I have no clue how to use this program?
    phpmyadmin is not recommended for this because it can timeout and not give a complete backup.. if you can't use telnet/ssh you need to get your web host to help you dump/backup the database and your new host to import the backup
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Glock21
      • Apr 2002

He is unable to at the moment, and we are switching on a different server, same host. I would like to at least use phpmyadmin for a trial to see if the forum works on the new server correctly. My database is small and it shouldn't timeout likely.

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

you can try backing up each table within vB database one at a time hopefully that would work

i'm assuming you have phpmyadmin installed already right ?

1. Look to your left frame, and you'll see the name of your mysql databases.
        2. Click on the database name and you'll see the right frame change, showing your databases' tables, how many records, table type (MyISAM) and table size and total database size.
        3. Scroll down further in right frame and you'll see a few functions such as

- a text area box titled "Run SQL query/queries on database YOURDATABASENAME"
        - 'Or Location of the textfile' with the Browse and GO button
        - View dump (schema) of database which lists the table names in the database in a box and to the right of the box is a few functions labeled as, 'Structure only', 'Structure and data' and 'Data only'
        - below these labels are check boxes with one of them closest to the GO button being, 'Save as file'

4. to backup each database table,

select the database table name i.e.

admin table and then

check the 'Structure and data' check box and tick the 'Save as file' option and then hit the GO button, you'll be prompted to download a *.sql file which contains a backup of your database data and table structure. Remember to save the *.sql file to a folder on your pc and remember that location for import/restore purposes.

do this for each vB database table so you would select another table name in vB database and do the same thing

you will have a bunch of tabelname.sql files you need to upload to new server

5. To reimport these to an EMPTY database on new server using telnet you will have to run as many commands as the number of vB database tables you have backed up into .sql files

if you uploaded them to /home/username/public_html on new server

you'd type
        Code:
        mysql -u mysqlusername -p newemptyvbforumdatabasename < /home/username/public_html/tablename.sql
        it will prompt you for your mysql password and wait until you come back to prompt to indicate it's complete

do the same for each tablename.sql file

or if you have to use phpmyadmin you need to import each sql table file in to a new empty vB database
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Glock21
          • Apr 2002

What about in the VB CP Import & Maintenance
          Back-up Database SQL Dump of data:, is that the same thing? And also if I checked every table, and save as file wouldn't that also work equally? If only we had telnet...

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

What about in the VB CP Import & Maintenance
            Back-up Database SQL Dump of data:, is that the same thing? And also if I checked every table, and save as file wouldn't that also work equally? If only we had telnet...
            i wouldn't use vB backup... use phpmyadmin

Comment

• Glock21
              • Apr 2002

Is there a spefic reason for not using it? I got a full backup from it actually, phpmyadmin keeps timing out though, and it says my db is only 23 megs, when the vb backup is about 45.

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

both vB backup and phpmyadmin are php scripts subject to the same timeout issues

in phpmyadmin stats what total size of your vB database does it report before backing up ?

Comment

• jmd
                  • Jan 2002

I have no choice but to use phpmyadmin
                  To do my backups(data base size=7meg)

So are you saying that If you use this method your not getting compleat backups??

It seems to work fine.

Thanks for any info

Cheers
                  PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by jmd
                    I have no choice but to use phpmyadmin
                    To do my backups(data base size=7meg)

So are you saying that If you use this method your not getting compleat backups??

It seems to work fine.

Thanks for any info

Cheers
                    well yes there is a possibility of incomplete backups when your database size gets larger... what are you gonna do then ? leave it too late to move, and you won't be able to take your database with you when you change hosts (especially if the current host won't accomodate doing a mysqldump/telnet backup for you if you can't)

Comment

• Glock21
                      • Apr 2002

30.1 Megs in phpmyadmin, 47.4 backup came out of vbulletin.

Comment

• Glock21
                        • Apr 2002

Also, I'm not sure if I understand exactly how the transfer works. Do I have to install vBulletin again on the new server, or does it automatically transfer once the old database is installed? Do my hacks and custom files also get transferred?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          Former Customer Support Manager
                          • Jul 2000

You have to transfer your existing vB files to the new server. No need to reinstall.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Glock21
                            • Apr 2002

If I just download them all, and reupload to the server will everything be setup correctly with Chmods and what not?

Comment

• George L
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • May 2000
                              • 3.8.x

If I just download them all, and reupload to the server will everything be setup correctly with Chmods and what not?
                              yup... step 3 and 4 at http://vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...