• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wandrer
    • Apr 2000

Zend Cache

As seen/posted on the PHP mailing list:

>>>>>
    The guys behind PHP are finally going to be selling products for real money, which should help insure the future of PHP. Sounds good. But a question remains, what's the pricing going to be. Keep on reading for what little birds have to say.
    <snip>
    Little (and not so little) birds whisper that the Zend Cache will run $2,000 per processor, and the Zend Compiler $6,000 per station.
    <<<<<

Just saw a listing on hotscripts.com for Bware_cache. Initially it looks like this will do what Zend Cache would do but for free (instead of the ridiculous $2000 per processor).

"It works by caching inside the web server compiled php code (just before it's executed) so that the next time the same script is called it is simply restored, already compiled, from the cache with big savings in terms of execution time. Caching and saving scripts at compile time can be a big performance win, especially if your php script is complex and makes heavy use of libraries. We needed something to speed up an application running on a very busy site so we wrote it; it's still beta code that can probably be optimized more (especially regarding memory consumption) but we use it daily for serving contents on very busy web sites and are very happy with it."

As of today this module is known to work with apache-1.3.x and php-4.0.3pl1. We want to release it in the public domain to let other people look at it, try it and give us some feedback."

Since I don't have a Linux box handy, could someone check this out for vBulletin and see if there is any speed increase ?

• Shaman
    • Jun 2000

Very cool. It works *awesome*!!
    http://racing.kos.net
    http://www.rumour.com/

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
      • Jun 2000
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Shaman
      Very cool. It works *awesome*!!
      I was going to try this myself, but was a little leary about the newness of the software and the beta tag. Have you run into any problems using this with vB code? I am sure the performance increases must be amazing though, not having to compile the PHP code each time is certainly a huge benefit!

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
        • Jun 2000
        • 4.0.x

Awesome simply isn't the right word: AMAZING!!! is more like it! There is absolutely NO delay on my server when going from one vB page to another.... I thought things were already running as fast as possible, but I was wrong. Anyone that would like to see a performance increase simply must install this!

Comment

• Me2Be
          Lady Moderator
          • Jun 2000

Chris, how to do I run it once I upload it on my linux box? Also, which version do you suggest

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
            • Jun 2000
            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Me2Be
            Chris, how to do I run it once I upload it on my linux box? Also, which version do you suggest
            First off, make SURE you are running PHP 4.0.3pl1. This is the version of PHP required, and this might not work with older versions.

Second just download the compiled object file here: http://bwcache.bware.it/download/bwa...86-4.0.3pl1.so

Rename that file to "bware_cache.so" and put it somewhere on your server. I have PHP installed in /usr/local/php, so I created a subdirectory under there called /usr/local/php/modules and placed the bware_cache.so file in it.

Then, edit your php.ini file. Look for these lines (or something similar to them):
            Code:
            zend_optimizer.optimization_level=15
            zend_extension="/usr/local/zend/lib/ZendOptimizer.so"
            Place a "; " semi-colon and space in fron of those lines to comment them out.

This will disable the Zend optimizer (this doesn't work with the optimizer yet, but since you are saving the executable code in memory, it doesn't really need this anyway).

Then add these lines (anywhere, but I put mine under where I had the Zend lines):
            Code:
            zend_extension="/usr/local/php/modules/bware_cache.so"
            bware_cache_enable="1"
            bware_cache_check_stamp="1"
            bware_cache_log_level="1"
            bware_cache_only="*.php *.php3 *.phtml *.tpl"
            Make sure you change the "/usr/local/php/modules/bware_cache.so" line if you called the file something else or have it in a different location.

Then stop and re-start Apache (apachectl stop and apachectl start).

If you look at your phpinfo page, you should now see the Bware Cache listed at the top, and should be able to see the performance increases as well!.

-Chris

[Edited by Chris Schreiber on 12-12-2000 at 02:02 PM]

Comment

• wandrer
              • Apr 2000

Anyone that would like to see a performance increase simply must install this!
              Wow... I gotta get a linux box up and running to try this thing out...

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

oooh nice.. gotta pass this on to the network tech guys hosting me soon

:: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                  • Jun 2000
                  • 4.0.x

Originally posted by wandrer
                  Wow... I gotta get a linux box up and running to try this thing out...
                  Well thanks for posting this, I think alot of people here can benefit! Hopefully when they get closer to a "release" version, they will also compile the module for Win32 as well (shouldn't be too difficult). Of course having a 'spare' Linux box around isn't a bad thing either

Comment

• GMTalk
                    • Aug 2000

Just did this and all i can say is

OOOooooooo AAAaaaahhhh

Ther eis a noticible increase over before. I have gotten a few emails regarding the increase in speed from my users.

I am impressed

Comment

• Me2Be
                      Lady Moderator
                      • Jun 2000

bummer, I'm on PHP Version 4.0.1pl2 on the big board, but PHP Version 4.0.3pl1 on the smaller one. I'll have to get them to update it.

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                        • Jun 2000
                        • 4.0.x

on the smaller one.
                        LOL I love it when you say the smaller one and yet have 100 people on there right now! Of course you could install it there first if you wanted, but I would have them update PHP on your other server, this is certainly something you would see a benefit from.

Comment

• Me2Be
                          Lady Moderator
                          • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                          [LOL I love it when you say the smaller one and yet have 100 people on there right now! [/B]
                          Brad Pitt, you are so funny! LOL

[Edited by Me2Be on 12-12-2000 at 04:22 PM]

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                            • Jun 2000
                            • 4.0.x

Brad Pitt, you are so funny! LOL
                            LOL!! You saw that already huh?

Comment

• Me2Be
                              Lady Moderator
                              • Jun 2000

Does Jennifer Anniston know you are the perfect match for her man? LOL

Hey, where would I find the commands for "Then stop and re-start Apache (apachectl stop and apachectl start". I ran it from the root and it said command not found.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...