Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doogie
    • Jun 2001

Rackshack or Rack****

My advice to you, is stay away from Rackshack. We had a server on Rackshack, and had used 80-120gig per month for about 6-8 months. Suddenly for the June quarter they charged us for close to 800gigs of traffic.

Despite me providing proof of usage of 80gig, they refused to believe that I could possibly be right, and then preceded to disconnect our server, without e-mail notification, and charge us $1100USD for the usage.

I can as you imagine vehemently denied this at all stages. I can't understand how a server with 6 clients on it, using 80-120 for 8 months can suddenly be charged for 800gig when we'd not changed a thing, and all our logfiles, and ntop and our own mrtg had stated we used 80gig.

Anyways, here are a few threads on the Rackshack forum to check out. Rackshack are cheap yes, but stay away from them. Better services include Sentris or eServers.

Thread #1 Thread # 2
    Jetstream Games - NZ
    www.jetstreamgames.co.nz
  • ccd1
    • Jun 2002

Those threads scared me to death, I was going to sign up with them but this made me reconsider. Heh, thanks.

Comment

• Doogie
      • Jun 2001

For the complete sorry saga... please read this:

Jetstream Games - NZ
      www.jetstreamgames.co.nz

Comment

• frozen
        • Aug 2002
        • 3.0.0 Gamma

Thats sad, I have read several problem threads similar to that.

Thanks for posting this info Doggie.

I run a web hosting company and actually thought about getting two more servers their for backup and load balancing purposes. Now I am glad I did not.

I think I will just stick with adding the two extra servers to my current bandwidth provider as they have multiple data centers I could use.

Comment

• Chen
          • Jun 2001

Even if you DID use 800GB of bandwidth, as someone said:
          Dude, you don't let a customer just run 8.5 TeraBytes over his 0.6 TeraByte allowance and then charge. Sorry but I wouldn't pay you a single penny in his position... You don't screw people just cause you can, even if you are theretically and/legally capable to do so... Sorry but thumbs down on this one.
          What happened to "This site is over the limit"?
          Chen Avinadav
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• ccd1
            • Jun 2002

I'm going to start distributing MP3's and then not pay when I reach TB's a day if they don't warn me.

Comment

• Doogie
              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by FireFly
              Even if you DID use 800GB of bandwidth, as someone said:

What happened to "This site is over the limit"?
              Exactly.. that is one of our beefs... apparently there are supposed to be automated e-mails saying 'your site is now over bandwidth allowance' but we never received any.

I'm now happy to say that I'm with Sentris, and the service they have provided has been fantastic, considering major problems with hardware intially.

Things they have done include:

1) Replacing three servers within 2 hours.
              2) With a faulty hard drive, making the hard drive secondary so data can be recovered
              3) Always replying within 3 hours.

Fantastic service, can't recommend them enough.
              Jetstream Games - NZ
              www.jetstreamgames.co.nz

Comment

• Julie
                • Jan 2002

OMG and we use them too oh no!

Comment

• Erwin
                  • Jan 2002

That is indeed scary. A cautionary tale to keep track of your server's bandwidth if anything else.

Comment

• FlyBoy73
                    • May 2002

I was thinking about getting a server with them but not any more.
                    Reading all of those threads and the lack of response by RackShack negates any positives such as bandwidth and space. What worries me the most is bandwidth metering errors and their response to someone that obviously (in my opinion) didn't do anywhere near 800gigs.. His site(s) history should show that clearly.. And when it factors out to be a possible decimal mistake.. Wow..
                    NO THANKS!
                    Besides, I live in Houston (where they are located) and getting hit like that may make me go "postal".. hah.. (j/k of course.. )

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...