Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark5
    • Nov 2000

vBulletin vs UBB

I currently moderate a very active message board that uses UBB. The license will be up in a few months and we are exploring our options. We used Open Topic for about 3 weeks in September and it was a nightmare, unbelievable server problems, we were lucky we didn't lose most of our members .

Anyways, I recently found vBulletin and have several questions.
    [*] Is there a vBulletin vs UBB features list located somewhere ?
    [*] What are the major differences between vBulletin and UBB ?
    [*] The formats appear very similar which is good for me and my users. Did the software developers work for UBB ? If not, where did they get their knowledge to make sure UBB infomation works so well on vBulletin ?
    [*] Is there a sample "Contol Panel" that I can look at ?
    [*] Visible email option. It's alway bothered me that with UBB, my members that choose to have their emails listed are subject to having their emails viewed by "harvesters" from competing bbs and email spammers. From what I've seen, it looks like vBulletin allows members the option of emailing each other thru the bb without actually seeing the other person's email address. It this the case ?
    [*] We have a lot of "older" members who don't like change, yet we'd like to have more administrative options. Often our members after first sign up - they have trouble even figuring basic things out. How simple is vBulletin for members to use and how similar can we make it - to what they are currently using (UBB) ?

I may have more questions, but - for now I think I like what I see. Thanks for your help !

Mark5
  • JimF
    • May 2000

[quote]Is there a vBulletin vs UBB features list located somewhere ? [/quote]

[url="http://vbulletin.com/forum/search.php?query=UBB&forumchoice=9&booleanand=yes&searchin=all&searchdate=-1&searchuser=&searchdateline=&exactname=yes&action=dosearch&getdaily=&pagenum="]Yes[/url].

[quote]What are the major differences between vBulletin and UBB ?[/quote]

Right off the bat, php & MySQL instead of perl and flat text files. For more info, check [url="http://vbulletin.com/forum/search.php?query=UBB&forumchoice=9&booleanand=yes&searchin=all&searchdate=-1&searchuser=&searchdateline=&exactname=yes&action=dosearch&getdaily=&pagenum="]This Link[/url].

[quote]The formats appear very similar which is good for me and my users. Did the software developers work for UBB ? If not, where did they get their knowledge to make sure UBB infomation works so well on vBulletin ?[/quote]

UBB information? I don't understand. Unless you're talking about the UBB to vB import utility...

[quote]Is there a sample "Contol Panel" that I can look at ?[/quote]

[url="http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html"]Yes[/url].

[quote]Visible email option. It's alway bothered me that with UBB, my members that choose to have their emails listed are subject to having their emails viewed by "harvesters" from competing bbs and email spammers. From what I've seen, it looks like vBulletin allows members the option of emailing each other thru the bb without actually seeing the other person's email address. It this the case ?[/quote]

[url="http://vbulletin.com/forum/member.php?action=mailform&userid=1565"]Yes[/url].

[quote]We have a lot of "older" members who don't like change, yet we'd like to have more administrative options. Often our members after first sign up - they have trouble even figuring basic things out. How simple is vBulletin for members to use and how similar can we make it - to what they are currently using (UBB) ?[/quote]

Yes. As you already stated, they are very similar in operation and appearance. In fact, theoretically you could make the switch to vB from UBB, and your members would never even notice as far as functionality. They would certainly notice the extra features though.

[quote]I may have more questions[/quote]

I'm sure most or all of them have been answered already in detail - the search feature in vBulletin is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than in UBB, for one because it works. If not, please ask away - we'd be happy to help you out.

Hope this helps.

-jim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...