What is the best vBulletin Board you've ever seen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • isuru
    • Oct 2000

What is the best vBulletin Board you've ever seen?

What is the best vBulletin Board you've ever seen? and why?

Is it because it has really awesome mods and addons or that it is the best looking?

I'd like to know your thoughts
  • Mike Sullivan
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

This is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .

Because dog spelled backwards is http://www.vbulletin.org

No seriously, it took a long time to get those templates like that - and they still suck in netscape (grr!)

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

well i put my vB up for the vote

just came back online after a terrible week of mysql problems... seems to be okay now thanks to Chris and J.Eng and others
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Menno
        • Apr 2000

I probably should't be posting it because it's offline at the moment, but what the hell

[see more recent post for the url]

My co-webmaster is gonna kill me for this

[Edited by Menno on 01-18-2001 at 10:00 AM]
        - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Menno
          I probably should't be posting it because it's offline at the moment, but what the hell

My co-webmaster is gonna kill me for this

wow menno looks fantastic... how long did it take you to do the templates...

once the next release comes out i am thinking of a make over
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Menno
            • Apr 2000

Thanks

It didn't take to long actually, I kept the templates as simple as I could.
            Something you should do is make a simple html file, with the new layout in it, exactly like it would look when you surf to your vB (including forum cells, etc.)

That way you only have to replace a few things with actual vB code when you change the templates in the admin center.

ArtBeast!

Comment

• isuru
              • Oct 2000

Meno and eva2000,

Your two sites are two of the best I've EVER EVER seen!!!!!!

Well done and keep up the good work

Comment

• Joe
                • May 2000

Menno, dude, i love the layout, what would you charge to customize my vB? Eh! you can even use the same grafics / colors / layout as yours! $100? $200?

You have no idea how much i suck at graphics and html, lol
                Bike Forums.net

Comment

• George L
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • May 2000
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by isuru
                  Meno and eva2000,

Your two sites are two of the best I've EVER EVER seen!!!!!!

Well done and keep up the good work
                  thanks

You have no idea how much i suck at graphics and html, lol
                  i sux at graphics too...

Comment

• Menno
                    • Apr 2000

Graphics don't have to make the site
                    I've been amazed at what some people (eva2000, for examp.) can do using nothing more then some table code and good colors.

And Bike, if you're really that interested, just email me some time

ArtBeast!

Comment

• Joe
                      • May 2000

Uh, did i mention i suck at tables too? LOL

Menno, im going to be launching a new forum site when the next big version of vB comes out, i'll let ya know when i need your services
                      Bike Forums.net

Comment

• Overgrow
                        • May 2000

Well everyone seems to be nominating their own VB.. so... the best looking VB I've ever seen is-- my own!

I think our design and integration is pretty slick. We've written two custom hacks for it- image uploading and the kill file. We also have the best collection of smilies

My two favorite VB's other than mine are:

Very nice.. one of the only "on-black" sites that I consider successful.

and Craig's..

TenTenths Motorsport Forum. Thousands of users, OVER 3 million posts on motorsport around the world. NASCAR, Formula 1, CART, IRL, A1 GP, you'll find them all at Ten-Tenths.

Massively good site, very well tied into his home page with the header.

p.s. I'm also available for freelance design work
                        vB Retro -> See vBulletin 1.1.2 and travel back to the Year 2000!
                        Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
                        presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content since vB1.1... now faster than ever!

Comment

• Overgrow
                          • May 2000

Well before I get laughed at for being a colorblind designer, I better correct myself and say that the Unreal forums are actually on dark blue. It's one of the best dark background VBs I've seen. I also really like our home here at VB.com-- smashing work Menno!

p.s. My site is so slow lately! apologies for the delay if you try and check it out. After the upgrade we've gone from 50 concurrent users at peak to 60+ now. We are hitting a major growing-pains period as the server we're sharing is not optimized for us. I was surprised to see we are possibly one of the higher traffic VB's? Well at least middle-tier.. I know the ones who have 100 to 200 concurrents. I don't want to get there yet without having a sysadmin and our own box!

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                            Former vBulletin Developer
                            • May 2000
                            • 1.1.x

I must insist that I like my own forum I do think it to be the most hacked as I have put in alot of small hacks that I have not bothered to post. Oh what a pain upgrade time will be for me.

- Search results arrows (my hack)
                            - Calender (my hack)
                            - Custom User Status (my hack)
                            - Birthday in Profile (my hack)
                            - Email Notification hack (my own again)
                            - PM's
                            - Poll's
                            - Brain Teaser
                            - Private message indicator is in Fivelinks so you will see your PM notification no matter what page you are on.

- Countless other small things I forget

I also think my smilies are best I am going to steal that one eyed alien from Overgrow though

Comment

• Overgrow
                              • May 2000

I always thought your header graphic was really cute, rangersfan. I'm not saying that because I smoothed the edges, it was nice before that. Also I've implemented your little search arrow hack at the same time I was doing some search.php modifications of my own.

I have much more planned but at least for now you can sort the stupid search results! How inane it is to have a search engine with so much untapped potential as the stock one. I added the ability to sort the posts by: forum, last post, author, or # of views. Also added the little trick to only search for threads the author has started.

I haven't implemented "clickable search headers" that would allow you to sort the results after you've already gotten them, but that won't be too much more work to finish. I suppose my forums are used more as a learning tool than others around here so my search engine is more valuable as it answers many of the same questions that would normally be posted. Someday I will come out with a much improved, optimized version of search.php.. maybe before VB does...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...