X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tungsten
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Tungsten's Revised Forum Status Icons

Okay, I decided to take another shot at making some new icons for the forum home page.

These icons are based off of Kier's work courtesy of the vB3 graphics development kit, but have been tweaked a little so that hopefully they will better fit the look and feel of vB3's default style. I also took the liberty of converting the "bulletin board" backdrop from an angled perspective to a head-on perspective so that it would be easier to deal with antialiasing the edges.

I am also including the Adobe .PSD file for those of you who want to use it to make your own icons or adjust the aliasing so that they look better on your forum colors. If you are using Adobe Photoshop to render your own icons, I highly suggest that when you save them as GIF files, you set the matte color to be the same as the cell background color on your forums. This will prevent any white pixels from showing up around the icons on your forums.

This post will be followed by a second that includes the rest of the files.

These icons obviously go into their respective folders beneath the /images folder in your vB3 installation.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tungsten; Thu 25 Mar '04, 5:43am.

• Tungsten
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Second post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tungsten; Thu 25 Mar '04, 9:56am.

Comment

• Charlie Argueta
      • Oct 2003
      • 3.5.x

Certainly these one looks better , but still complaining about these smilies

See Ya
      | vBulletin Hispano |

Comment

• louisl
        • Dec 2001

Very Nice. Good Job I like some of them.
        Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

• corsacrazy
          • Jun 2002
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

i prefered the 3d ones you done mate, plus they were smaller aswell which was better

Comment

• Tungsten
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.0.0 Beta 7

You can resize these to whatever you prefer using Photoshop. I'm using them at 30x30 pixels on my forum but left them at 40x40 here just so people could see the smaller details.

Comment

• Grover
              • May 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Tungsten
              Okay, I decided to take another shot at making some new icons for the forum home page.

These icons are based off of Kier's work courtesy of the vB3 graphics development kit, but have been tweaked a little so that hopefully they will better fit the look and feel of vB3's default style.
              They certainly do! I think they look terrific (but you alread knew that ). Both your new 2D and your previous '3D' offers are beautiful. You even improved the cake/pie!!! I love this even more... fits even better! *drools on and on and on...*

I also took the liberty of converting the "bulletin board" backdrop from an angled perspective to a head-on perspective so that it would be easier to deal with antialiasing the edges.
              Would it be to much to ask if you could consider releasing both packs? Your 2D AND 3D alternatives, because really both look awesome. And since I am on a roll now... is it possible for you to publish and 'GDK-release' your images also in 30x30 like you did before? That way we can compare them better (and for newbies like myself can use them immediately without having to know photoshop....)

Can you explain to photoshop-newbies like myself why it is apparently so hard to make the anti-alias lines look good on the standard VB3 light-blue postbit cell or any other background?

Thanks very much again. Brilliant work.
              Last edited by Grover; Thu 25 Mar '04, 5:30am.
              How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Tungsten
                • Jan 2002
                • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Per request, this post and the one following it will contain the PSD file and icons using the original "angle perspective" vB logo backdrop. I have saved the GIF files so that they use the default vBulletin white style's cell color as the matte. This should prevent aliasing problems around the edges on light backgrounds.

If your forum has a darker background, I highly suggest that you use Adobe Photoshop with the attached PSD file to generate new GIF images with your forum's background color as the matte color for the GIFs. That is the only way you can reasonably avoid aliasing problems.

Again, you can do with these as you like. I'm not retaining any ownership of the work since it is based largely on Kier's own designs.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Tungsten
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 3.0.0 Beta 7

And here are the forum status icons. I will revise my original post in this thread so that the preview images are 30x30 pixels for a more accurate comparison.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Grover
                    • May 2001
                    • 3.8.x

The new versions

Hi Tungsten,

Thanks for listening. I noticed that your new 3D versions are looking slightly different from the first versions published in http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98331. Here's a comparison:

Version 1
                    ---------------------------------------

Version 2
                    ---------------------------------------

I guess I better learn Photoshop myself, so you won't get bothered anymore with my requests.... I will try and figure out how I can get the look of the version 1 'stats.gif' back. I find the version1 looks better than version2. Version1 'stats.gif' has softer edges around the bars and the colours are more bright which is better. And there are some minor changes in the sizes of the front-images. Well... learning PS I could do it myself....

Nevertheless: you images are great. Isn't it wonderful how 'easy' it is to satisfy people? Just using the original VB3 backdrop image and put some populair front-image in front of it and you've got a look that blends in very well with the overall VB3 Gold style.

I've just looked at the official VB3 Gold GDK and -like others already rightfully mentioned- the big-sized images provided by Jelsoft look really impressive. Unfortunately when they are sized down to the default size used in the VB3 Gold style.... they don't look good anymore, like a lot of people agree on.

I am very interested in what you can come up with regarding the [post reply], [new thread] etc buttons.

Thanks,
                    Last edited by Grover; Thu 25 Mar '04, 11:49pm.
                    How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...