X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faruk
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

vBulletin 3 and PostgreSQL?

Okay, after having converted my work's Content Management System (that I wrote myself earlier in MySQL) to Postgres, I've started thinking about vB3 on Postgres.

Having a fairly good grasp of the vB3 codebase, its object & functions & engine, I think a vB3 on Postgres would require quite a thorough rewrite. Simply updating the db_mysql.php file with a db_pgsql.php version that is Postgres-compatible won't work, for starters. PHP and Postgres work in various ways that are completely incompatible with PHP/MySQL, and some functions/methods that vB currently uses simply cannot be done in Postgres without altering other .php files too. I'm not even getting started on what vB can do with Postgres that it currently cannot, of course...

So anyway, to get to the point of this thread: I'm curious, and my curiosity is aimed first and foremost to Jelsoft; what are Jelsoft's plans on vB3-on-Postgres, and if there are any, how is this going to be dealt with?
    Will there be a vB3-PE, a "vBulletin 3, Postgres Edition" so to speak, that users with a current vB3 can upgrade to via another complicated and extensive upgrade script? Or will it be a separate, mysql-version-incompatible product because so much code will/should be rewritten?
    The database layout on such a version should, imho, be changed quite radically. Just running off of Postgres is one thing, but I would say, if you're going to make a Postgres version, do it the right way: make use of Postgres' features to the fullest extent. Problem with that is that many things in vB3 will simply not work the same way anymore, so what are Jelsoft's thoughts on that?

And also, what does the community think of all this? Myself, I would absolutely love a Postgres 7.4-compatible vBulletin 3. There are just so many things that Postgres can automate for vBulletin, and on the whole, such a version would be fantastic for larger boards (any board with more than 1 million posts could effectively run 2-3 times as fast on Postgres, if not faster). On top of that, Postgres allows for far more advanced indexing (esp. as of 7.4, where you can make indexes using generic expressions as opposed to column/function only) which can open up a whole new dimension to how vBulletin works and functions.

All in all, I can only say that working with Postgres so far has been an absolute bliss, much nicer and faster than MySQL, and so much more powerful. A vBulletin 3 based on Postgres, making use of its features as much as possible, would be utter heaven. But, that's just my opinion. I'd like to know Jelsoft's and the community's opinion on this.
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

I love Postgresql too but they are missing a vital part that we've become dependant on.

Allow INSERT INTO tab (col1, ..) VALUES (val1, ..), (val2, ..)
    There is alot of things that could be used which would provide increased performance such as stored procedures and foreign keys along with views, we'll be having alot of discussion at our meeting next week and i'm sure that other dbms is something that will come up.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• filburt1
      • Feb 2002

How could that syntax not be allowed...a column argument list isn't allowed!?

IMO, increasing focus should be placed on the new SQL database that PHP5 uses--not to say that PostgreSQL should be ignored.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        • Dec 2000

SQLite implementation doesn't support the extended inserts either but its not used that often if memory serves me.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• sabret00the
          • Jan 2003

some of you might find that thread interesting

wouldn't making a postgre edition mean multiple source codes though and as brad said in the thread above wouldn't that hinder development?

Comment

• samcurry
            • Jun 2002

I believe in Mysql 5 they are planning to add the stored procedures and a few othe enhancements so i think it would be worth the wait for it.
            Yes, Im an active vb owner...

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              • Dec 2000

i've used MySQL 5 stored procedures the preview is out and its quite nice
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• djnoz
                • May 2003

It's a nice concept. Anyone who installs a different db system with vBulletin will probably find a lot of hacks over at vb.org are incompatible though... :-/
                Matt
                Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
                Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

• Faruk
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  I love Postgresql too but they are missing a vital part that we've become dependant on.

http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php
                  Paah, how can you be dependant on extended inserts?

They're merely a shortcut to doing multiple separate queries. Additionally, keep in mind that Postgres supports COPY TO/FROM which could (possibly, not sure by head) be used and are far more efficient, even.

Comment

• Dave#
                    • Jul 2000

I'd like Oracle support before Postgress
                    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                      • Feb 2003

Out of curiousity, why would you prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL?

Scott, why don't you do what phpBB's devs did? They made a database abstraction layer which allows them to have support for several databases.

Comment

• Faruk
                        • Aug 2001
                        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                        Out of curiousity, why would you prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL?
                        Faster, more stable, more powerful, more flexible, more efficient, better prepared for high-traffic sites, etc. etc. etc. ?

Comment

• RGSerge
                          • Feb 2003
                          • 3.0.0 Beta 4

Originally posted by Dave#
                          I'd like Oracle support before Postgress
                          That would be one expensive version of vbulletin

Plus, if you wanted to use Oracle then PHP would not be the best language to use, Java, specifically J2EE would.

Loads of development time, lots of $$$ and a completely different product at the end of the day.

Plus, what forum on the planet would really *need* an Oracle powered database. Infopop did that and correct me if I am wrong, but it isnt *that popular*. Oracle is for enterprise level systems (i.e. banks, insurance companies, government databases, the fortune 500 companies).

I do think a PGSQL version would be good, if there was one then I would be using it over the mysql version.

Comment

• Dave#
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by RGSerge
                            That would be one expensive version of vbulletin

Plus, if you wanted to use Oracle then PHP would not be the best language to use, Java, specifically J2EE would.

Loads of development time, lots of $$$ and a completely different product at the end of the day.

Yeah right whatever
                            http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                              • Dec 2000

I'd also prefer Oracle support before Postgresql its a complete different market.

Oracle and DB2 at one end and MySQL and PostgreSQL at the other.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...