Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ashley52680
    • Dec 2003

Upgrade Instructions?

I have never upgraded before and I can't find any specific instructions. I really don't want to just jump right in and lose all my forums and members. Is there any forum out there that shows you how to do this RC2 upgrade?

Also will I lose all my settings as far as colors and graphics?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ashley52680
    I have never upgraded before and I can't find any specific instructions. I really don't want to just jump right in and lose all my forums and members. Is there any forum out there that shows you how to do this RC2 upgrade?

Also will I lose all my settings as far as colors and graphics?
    FROM THE README FILE THAT SHIPS WITH THE RELEASE CANDIDATE:
    Upgrade Instructions

vBulletin 2 to vBulletin 3

The vBulletin 2 to vBulletin 3 upgrade script will upgrade your vBulletin 2 installation to vBulletin 3. You will not lose any data. Your vB2 styles will not be usable in vB3, but they will not be deleted, they will be kept in the database for your reference.

To upgrade, to vBulletin 3 your existing installation must be running at least vBulletin 2.2.9 or higher.

If you want to upgrade your forums to vBulletin 3 Release Candidate 1, you should first close your board via the vBulletin 2 admin control panel, and then make a complete back-up your database using the following command from the system command line:

mysqldump --opt -uusername -p databasename > databasename.sql (Where username is your MySQL username and databasename is the name of your database)

When your database backup is complete you should back up your existing vBulletin 2 PHP files and images, just in case you want to revert back to vBulletin 2 for whatever reason.

Before you proceed, you should run the Database Conflict Detection Script to make sure that the upgrade script will not fail due to any differences from the default vBulletin 2 installation in your database. If any conflicts are detected, you should resolve them before proceeding with the upgrade.

Next, unzip the vBulletin zip file you downloaded from the members' area to your hard disk and then open the upload/includes folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor.

The config.php file is commented throughout, so you should be able to work out what values to enter for the variables yourself. When you have finished, save the file back into the upload/includes/ folder as config.php.

Next, you should delete all vBulletin 2 files, including PHP, CSS and style files, along with any images. You should then upload the contents of the 'upload' folder to your server.

When the upload is complete, point your browser at http://<span style="color:red">www.d.../forum/</span>install/upgrade.php where www.domain.com/forum/ is the URL of your vBulletin files.

Please note that we have found that due to the large number of pages that the upgrade script loads, and the speed at which it loads them, certain browser plug-ins can cause the browser to crash out for various reasons. The Google Toolbar is one such plug-in, and we have seen browsers crashing due to the amount of browsing statistics being sent back to Google. If you have plug-ins of this kind installed, turn them off while running the upgrade script.

Running upgrade.php will automatically load the correct upgrade script and present you with a message, which you should read carefully. When you have finished reading, click the 'Next Step' button at the bottom of the page to start the upgrade process. When each page has completed its processing, it will either give you a 'Next Step' button to click, or automatically load the next page, depending on the type of job the page in question is doing.

Some steps will take quite a while to run, especially on large boards with large numbers of posts/threads. Please be patient and allow the script to complete.

If your browser crashes during the upgrade, or if you are on dial-up and your connection is dropped (etc.) then to restart the upgrade script simply point your browser at install/upgrade.php again and it will work out where you got to in the process and restart the process at the appropriate step.

For the most part, you do not need to do anything except click the 'Next Step' buttons to keep the upgrade script running. However, there are a few steps where the script will require your input to continue. One of these is the step where the script asks you to tell it which of your usergroups you use for 'Banned' users. It is important to select these carefully in order to make the enhanced vBulletin 3 banning system work. Additionally, towards the end of the upgrade, as the cookie and user format is converted from vB2 format to vB3 format, you maybe be required to log-in again a few times. This is the expected behavior.

Note: There are several upgrade scripts that need to be run. You do not need to determine which you need to run; they will be determined automatically. Simply click "next step" or "proceed" until you are redirected to your admin control panel.

When the scripts are complete, it will tell you to delete some files, and then redirect you to the Admin Control Panel. You should log in to this and proceed to the Import and Maintenance section of the control panel, where you should run the Rebuild Search Index and Rebuild Statistics controls. Both of these functions will take a quite a long time to run on larger boards.

vBulletin 3 Beta X to vBulletin 3 Release Candidate 1

Close your board via the admin control panel.

Upload all files from the 'upload' folder in the zip, with the exception of install/install.php and includes/config.php.new

Open your browser and point the URL to http://<span style="color:red">www.d.../forum/</span>install/upgrade.php (where www.domain.com/forums/ is the URL of your vBulletin). You should now be automatically forwarded to the appropriate upgrade script and step.

Follow the instructions on the screen. Make sure you click "next step" or "proceed" until you are redirected to your admin control panel. Here, you can reopen your board.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ashley52680
      • Dec 2003

thank you

Comment

• Ashley52680
        • Dec 2003

Next, you should delete all vBulletin 2 files, including PHP, CSS and style files, along with any images. You should then upload the contents of the 'upload' folder to your server.
        It says to delete all your images... will this mess up the look of my board? I redid the buttons to make them match my theme. When I downloaded the RC2 it had options of which one to download, I did the one without images.... was that the right thing to do?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You can keep your images but the storage format is different for vBulletin 3.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ashley52680
            • Dec 2003

I already have 3.0.0, but this is the upgrade to RC2... Is that going to be okay then?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Which version of '3.0.0'?
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Ashley52680
                • Dec 2003

It just says 3.0.0... I got it in December.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Actually if the URL is correct in your profile you are running vB3 Gamma version. You can keep the same images when upgrading to RC2.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Ashley52680
                    • Dec 2003

Awesome thanks for all the help! I am sure I will be back for more. I am just so nervous since this is my first upgrade... I don't want to lose anything.

Comment

• criscokid
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 3.6.x

I have performed a test upgrade from vbulletin ver 2 to ver 3RC2. At the end of it you are prompted to log in to the admincp - I enter my username & pasword correctly then get the "Thank you for logging in" message and the screen goes back to the username / password login page.

What have I done wrong? What's causing this to happen?

Comment

• Ashley52680
                        • Dec 2003

Just wanted to thank you for your help, I did the upgrade in 30 minutes with NO problems!! (I made it out to be much worse then it actually was lol )

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

criscokid,

This is a cookie problem. Try this:

I type in my username and password...it says 'Thank you for Logging In' and it brings me back to the login. ...and every time, it adds an &amp; to the query string (ignore the brackets...the s was stripped when I posted this): non-pro/testvb/admincp/?&amp;&amp;&amp;[s]=b5a4940b657941fe8515e1ca1a4b2d7f

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• criscokid
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            criscokid,

This is a cookie problem. Try this:
                            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...257#post486257
                            That did the trick. Well done guys for putting together an easy to follow upgrade script that works :-)

Comment

• Roody
                              • Mar 2002
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              FROM THE README FILE THAT SHIPS WITH THE RELEASE CANDIDATE:
                              Upgrade Instructions

vBulletin 2 to vBulletin 3

Next, unzip the vBulletin zip file you downloaded from the members' area to your hard disk and then open the upload/includes folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor.

The config.php file is commented throughout, so you should be able to work out what values to enter for the variables yourself. When you have finished, save the file back into the upload/includes/ folder as config.php.

Question Wayne regarding these two issues. I'm not clear on this so forgive me for possibly not understanding the obvious.

1. Do we have to do these steps mentioned with the config.php.new file other then renaming it since we already have this with VBulletin 2? Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

2. Why is it necessary to delete VBulletin 2 files? Won't they be overwritten during an upgrade to VBulletin 3? And won't this cause us to lose material or will our databases be holding all of this info?

Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...