Clear All
  • assassingod
    • Apr 2003
    • 3.5.x

Just for the sake of it, here is my OSX look-a-like on XP

Comment

• CeleronXT
      • Mar 2002

Where did you get the .png icons for the dock?
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• assassingod
        • Apr 2003
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by CeleronXT
        Where did you get the .png icons for the dock?
        http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.as...=2&SkinID=1005 ?

Comment

• CeleronXT
          • Mar 2002

Those are all *.ico files? O_o Thus far I've seen that the Y'z Dock only uses *.png icons?
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

• filburt1
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by CeleronXT
            You make the list sound bigger than it really is. You need to take out the things that Windows has, can quite easily get, or is just bad anyway.

Things to drop:
            Easier interface - Can't say things like that, it's personal preference entirely
            Many free apps from OS manufacturer - same for Windows.. They're called power toys.. o_O (as well as many other things)
            Stability - XP is very very stable
            Frequent Updates - Oh yeah
            Ad-Free AIM Client - Just download DeadAIM/Trillian/AIM+
            Built-in good firewall - Just get Sygate or ZoneAlarm Free
            Seamless software updating - Windows Update works wonders
            Seamless Multiple Monitors - Quite easy to use multiple monitors on Windows
            Built-in web/FTP/SMB - almost useless, as they'll ALL have to be updated to the newest versions anyway

After that, all you're left with is this:

Unix, no drivers, OpenGL-accelerated UI, scriptable programs, section 508-compliant UI, create PDFs in printing programs
            True, some of those are each to his own. But free software: iMovie and other such programs sure beat TweakUI.

The point is most of the stuff is just built into the OS.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• assassingod
              • Apr 2003
              • 3.5.x

Yep, my dock is using .ico and .png icons.

Maybe I downloaded a later version that allows .ico?

Comment

• CeleronXT
                • Mar 2002

I downloaded the dock yesterday..

Comment

• assassingod
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 3.5.x

and you can't use .ico?

Comment

• CeleronXT
                    • Mar 2002

Nope, they don't show up in the icon browser.. Where did you place the icons?

Comment

• assassingod
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 3.5.x

Strange. I just dragged the folders/program shortcuts onto the dock, right clicked->Dock Properties and changed the icon. I did nothing else.

Comment

• CeleronXT
                        • Mar 2002

Are your icons saved in /icons/Somefolder in the y'z dock dir?

Comment

• assassingod
                          • Apr 2003
                          • 3.5.x

\icons\Slate_for_YzDock\

All the icons i've used are in there.

Comment

• filburt1
                            • Feb 2002

Side note: I always find it amusing that Windows uses try to make their systems look like OS X, but OS X users never try to make their systems look like Windows
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• CeleronXT
                              • Mar 2002

That's because
                              OSX == Eye candy
                              Windows XP == Colorful jelly... o_O

Oh, and my computers teacher tried to make her MacOSX look like Windows as much as possible (not much, considering the limited tools to work with).

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by filburt1
                                Side note: I always find it amusing that Windows uses try to make their systems look like OS X, but OS X users never try to make their systems look like Windows
                                I get a kick out of it as well. On the Linux side, people are always trying to make KDE and Gnome look like either Windows XP or OS X.

Personally, I like to make my interface as unique as possible. So far I have customized everything except the GRUB screen. It is the only remnant left that I even installed a distribution.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...