X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unixman
    • Jun 2001
    • 5.2.x

SOLVED: Images not caching properly

After implementing a new look and feel for one of my sites (a big community, 20K+ members, 1M+ posts), the thing began running like a dog. Server loads were very low (less than 1.0, even with 200-400 members on at any time). Couldn't figure it out. Sooooo ....

1) I optimized my new graphics. Ah, there was some space savings there. But, no dice. Site still ran slower than hell.

2) I tweaked my Apache configuration until I was blue in the face. Couldn't get any love.

Turns out, my images were not being cached because I enabled Apache's "cookie logging" capabilities (mod_usertrack). When you do this, each and every request from your web server will be accompanied by a cookie request. In most browsers, this will automatically render the object (image, page, etc) as un-cacheable.

Disabled my cookie logging, voila. I'm off to the races again. Life is good.

Hope this helps some folks out there - it drove me crazy. I saw several of you posting similar questions, so I thought I'd share.

Cheers.
    Incursus: (latin: clash, collision/attack, raid, foray, invasion)
    We Create Thingz.
  • jackbox
    • Oct 2003

unixman... it might be well over a year since you posted this... but...

THANK YOU!!!

I spent the entire day fiddling about with my.cnf, httpd.conf, etc. I then stumbled across this at 5.40pm (UK time). I commented out mod_usertrack, restarted and boom... the icons finally started caching!!

Comment

• M1th
      • Jul 2003
      • 3.6.x

Heh, funnily enough I had this problem with our site's old server and we never mangaged to figure out how to resolve it. The new server doesnt have this problem, thankfully.

But, thanks for the useful info!
      Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

• unixman
        • Jun 2001
        • 5.2.x

Glad you found it useful, mate.

Another unique cause for slowdowns that I discovered is also documented somewhere here on the boards, but basically, my ISP had me capped at 2MB/sec bandwidth. I needed to purchase additional bandwidth to get a fatter connection ...

Cheers.
        Incursus: (latin: clash, collision/attack, raid, foray, invasion)
        We Create Thingz.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...