Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thefluke
    • Apr 2003

Using replacement text as a censor

Is there any way to do this? In the testing I've done, I can only use the board censor to change words to stars. We are upgrading from phpbb, which allows us to replace an unlimited amount of words (my other probelm with the censor system here, and part of why I wanted to use replacements instead.. you would be amazed at how much energy a group of 13 year olds will put into attempting to swear at all costs).

The admins at our old site had a pretty twisted sense of humor, so these little ones and thieir mouths often ended looking up even more foolish because of the censor. I would like to do something similer here.

Anyway, this is what I did but couldn't get to work:
    Created a new replacement set called censor
    Added the f word (not gonna type it here)
    In the replacement box, I wrote fudge. This didn't replace the text on a test thread I put in after I oked the changes.

Additionally, we try to certain webistes which are said to contain cheats (we are a gaming community), as these cheats are usually keyloggers intended to steal passwords. WE can't do that wit hthe character limit on the current censor.

Ok, cutting to the chase- can the replacement be used that way, and if so, how should I do it.
  • jamslam
    • Mar 2003

Well, depending on how many styles you have (2 or more), it really isn't worth doing. It would be a lot of replacements to add. But i believe you can do this...

You put the word you want to censor in the first box (you put censor, if you typed censor on your board, it would replace it with f***, or whatever you put in the box below it)

you would have to add an individual replacement for every word, and if the censor box in the options isn't enough, I'm going to assume thats a lot. So unless you are very strict with this, it could take a long time. Hope that helps.
    http://www.webtrickscentral.com/images/wtcsig.jpg

Comment

• thefluke
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by jamslam
      Well, depending on how many styles you have (2 or more), it really isn't worth doing. It would be a lot of replacements to add. But i believe you can do this...

You put the word you want to censor in the first box (you put censor, if you typed censor on your board, it would replace it with f***, or whatever you put in the box below it)
      Himm.. I'm pretty sure tha's what I did, but the word wasn't replaced when i posted. I better check my spelling.
      But what you are saying that each board style will need it's own replacement?

you would have to add an individual replacement for every word, and if the censor box in the options isn't enough, I'm going to assume thats a lot. So unless you are very strict with this, it could take a long time. Hope that helps.
      250 charachterers really isn't alot, particularly when you are censoring urls and domain names in addition to various spelling and mis spellings of your common swears. A copy of our old censor is here. Notice the obscenely long list of each word (partucularly the f, s, and b one's- there 24 variations of the f word alone) that we had to enter as the users got more and more creative in theer spellings. God forbid they use words that make them think.

Anyways, You can ignore most of the special charachters at the end. Those were added in a failed attempt to prevent people from using themin user names, as that tended to break the boards search engine (particulary users names with *'s in their names).
      Last edited by thefluke; Sun 4 May '03, 8:59am.

Comment

• jamslam
        • Mar 2003

Wow, thats a long list..

In your first post, you said you put censor in the first box, followed by the word in the one below it...

Well, each board style has it's own replacement set. So if you make a new style, you will have to add all of those censored words to the new style, or else they won't be censored.

I just checked up on if my method works. I just put the word "crap" in the "Code to find" box. JUST the word crap. Then in the box below it entitled "Code To Insert" I put ****. Then i went and posted the word "crap" and it came up as ****. So it does work.

But with the amount of words you have, that could take a very very long time. I'm not sure if you know this, but to cut down on the words you could just put "crap" in the censor box in the admin options without the { and } and it would censor crap out of every word. So crapping would be ****ping.

Other then that, unless I just don't know, there is no other quicker easier way to add censored words. Try suggesting they make the censor box maxlength longer in the next version
        http://www.webtrickscentral.com/images/wtcsig.jpg

Comment

• thefluke
          • Apr 2003

Ok thanks, I'll have to rethink the stratagy a little bit. I think I"ll still have to use that for the urls, but maybe the hackers at vb.org can comeup with something a little easier.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...