Registration Request -Requires approval & Email sent to Administrator/Moderator

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aralorn
    • Feb 2003

Registration Request -Requires approval & Email sent to Administrator/Moderator

I'd like all new registration requests to go in a holding pattern and the requestor NOT be able to access or view the forum and posts until their registration is approved (or denied) by the Administrator. In the User Groups section I've set "can view board" to No for "Unregistered/Not Logged in" and "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" groups. Will this take care of it or is there something else that needs to be done?

I'd also like an automatic email sent to the Administrator or Moderator (prefer Administrator) every time someone requests a registration. That way the administrator will know when he has to process a new request instead of visiting the Admin site every day for new requests. Is there a way to set this up?

Thanks much!
    Aralorn
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You need to set the permissions for the COPPA group as well since this is where the moderated users first go.

For the emails:

Admin CP -> vBulletion Options -> User and registration options -> Notify about new members
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Aralorn
      • Feb 2003

Done, thanks. And thanks for the quick response!

I'm still a bit confused about confirming a requested registration and the correct steps to take when doing that. This is what I've guessed. Let me know if I'm close or wayyyyyy off

1. Users / Find / List most recent registrations.
      2. Click "Edit" link for the new user.
      3. Change user group to "Registered" if approved or click "Remove user" if denied
      4. Click "Email Activation Codes" to have email sent to user.
      5. Click "Edit Forum Access" to set the specific forums user will have access to

I'm not sure where the "COPPA" that you mentioned falls in. Do they move to the COPPA group until they use the email activation code or after they use the activation code? Or am I supposed to move them there (instead of Registered) 'til the email activation code is submitted by them...

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

When you first login to your Admin CP, you should see a link at the top of the page to the list users waiting for moderation. Click on this link and either approve or disapprove of these users.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Aralorn
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          When you first login to your Admin CP, you should see a link at the top of the page to the list users waiting for moderation. Click on this link and either approve or disapprove of these users.
          I've been making test registration requests and checking that "users awaiting moderation" link but it always says zero. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Are there any users in the COPPA group?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Aralorn
              • Feb 2003

Are there any users in the COPPA group?
              Nope, but there is one in the 'Users Awaiting Email Confirmation' group

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Then you aren't moderating new users.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User and registration options -> Moderate New Members -> Yes

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Aralorn
                  • Feb 2003

Then you aren't moderating new users.
                  Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User and registration options -> Moderate New Members -> Yes
                  That's been set to 'Yes' since the 1st time I set the Options. I checked again and its still at yes.

These are the Users & Registration Options setting we have, in case that helps:
                  Display email addresses: No
                  Use email form: Yes
                  Allow signatures: No
                  Notify about new members: (my email)
                  Require unique email addresses: Yes
                  Illegal user names: <blank>
                  Allow new user registrations: Yes
                  Allow multiple registrations per user: Yes
                  Verify email address in registration: Yes
                  Moderate new members: Yes
                  Use COPPA Registration system: Yes
                  Timeout for cookies: 900
                  Allow users to change styles: No
                  Enable Access Masks: No (I'll be changing this to yes)
                  Referrer: No
                  Minimum username length: 4
                  Maximum username length: 15
                  Allow Ignore Moderators: No

btw, I'm also not receiving emails when a new user wants to register, and the new user isn't receiving the account activation email. Is it connected?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

That's two different issues.

Are any email functions working? If so, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

As for the Moderation issue, if you have not installed any hacks, fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

If you have installed hacks, then remove the hacks first before filling out the support request.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• fury
                      • Jun 2001

When both Verify email and Moderate users are set to yes, don't users have to verify their email first and then the admin gets to approve/deny the registration?

Comment

• Aralorn
                        • Feb 2003

That's two different issues.
                        For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

As for the Moderation issue, if you have not installed any hacks, fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

If you have installed hacks, then remove the hacks first before filling out the support request.

Is this true about Fury's post? If it is I'll wait 'til the email is fixed before putting in a support ticket, just in case. And no hacks have been installed (not that I know what they are...).

We have a dedicated server and the emails definitely aren't working. We'll check the mail logs to find out what's up.

Comment

• raxafarian
                          • Apr 2003
                          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

that's how I have it set up... verify email and moderate new users.

The new user shows up for moderation AFTER they verify email
                          v2.3

Comment

• Aralorn
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by decostop
                            that's how I have it set up... verify email and moderate new users.

The new user shows up for moderation AFTER they verify email
                            v2.3
                            Yup, the "users awaiting moderation" numbers show up now that the email is fixed and new users can respond to the registration email.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...