Will vBulletin ever fix the problem of threads not being marked read?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greggish

Will vBulletin ever fix the problem of threads not being marked read?

I've been going back and forth deciding between vBulletin and phpBB. The money for vBulletin is not really a big issue with me, and I appreciate all the great hacks available for vBulletin. But I have noticed on countless vBulletin boards that there is a problem marking threads read for a user in a timely fashion. This makes reading a board a little confusing and frustrating. I have never noticed this problem on any phpBB boards. This is making me lean towards phpBB. If vBulletin would fix this one problem I think I would use it instead.
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

I personally have never seen this *not* work on vB.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

What boards are you experiencing the problem on?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

I too personally have not seen this happen.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Babylon
          • Feb 2002

I've never had the problem either, but i know there was a bug fix related to it with vb2.2.8... So the forums you are having problems with probably aren't running 2.2.8

Comment

• MasterMac
            • Sep 2002

I know what he's referring to. I'm not sure if this is in 2.2.8 since I haven't visited any real active vB boards in a while (I think the last time I visited one full-time it was at 2.2.6)

Anyway, suppose you have like 5 new threads in a "general discussion" forum. You read them, go back to the index of the "general discussion" forum, and it still has the little arrow links that mark them as "new" (which also take you to the newest "unread" post)

Also, if you go to the main index of the forum, it will still have the icon saying there are new posts in it. It won't change until you re-open your browser or until the cookie session expires or whatever.

Comment

• Andy Z
              • Nov 2001

I have always had thread indicator's work, but forum listings always are lit until the cookie expires and/or I restart the browser.
              - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

• Michael2
                • Oct 2001
                • 3.8.x

Doesn't the "mark forum as read" link alleviate the problem?
                HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• MasterMac
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Michael2
                  Doesn't the "mark forum as read" link alleviate the problem?
                  Yes, however that should be fixed (having the index mark forums correctly) in possibly v2.2.9 or v3

But additional to that, when you reply to a thread or read a thread and go back to the forum listings of posts, the little arrow next to the subject of the post should not be there (the one that links to the latest reply & stuff), since it's technically not a "new" thread once you've replied/read it.

Comment

• Erwin
                    • Jan 2002

Look at the envelopes, not the little down arrows.

An unread thread will have a bright yellow envelope, a read thread will have a dark grey one. Those little arrows will remain until you log off and log in again. They are for a different purpose.

Comment

• Chen
                      • Jun 2001

As Erwin said, the arrows do not indicate the thread is new. They are there so you can quickly click them and be taken directly to the first new post in that thread.
                      Chen Avinadav
                      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                        • May 2002
                        • 1.1.x

Woah, I never noticed that before... Cool

Comment

• MasterMac
                          • Sep 2002

Eh, I guess that makes sence :P

That still leaves the one about the main index still marking forums as having new posts after all threads have been read

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MasterMac
                            Eh, I guess that makes sence :P

That still leaves the one about the main index still marking forums as having new posts after all threads have been read
                            Well, that was never supposed to be a feature in vBulletin 2.X.X, however they are working on getting it done in vBulletin 3.0
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • Dec 2000

could be quickly done in vB2. But it would rely on your looking at all threads, then reloading the forumdisplay with all the threads read then back to the index and it would be off.

Or are you talking about reading a couple of threads then heading back to the forumhome and that forum being marked read?
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...