X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rldoughjr
    • Oct 2008

vB Forum 4.0 upgrade no longer free!

Yesterday this was a free upgrade under "Upgrade existing". Now it is not selectable and indicates "$175, Coming soon!"

The only upgrade option is the suite for $130.

Fresh forum license is $195.

Why would I opt for a partial product which is more expensive than the whole package?

Are these people really this greedy? I expected some sort of concession to those of us stuck with recent purchases, now they are making it even more expensive!
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

If you saw it yesterday and don't now, it's likely that they are still implementing it, and you saw it briefly while it was being tested or something.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

There is an inaccuracy here. There are two different things here that affect what version of software you are running.

Free Upgrade = Updates as long as your current license is active.
      $175 Upgrade = Updates as long as 4.0 is being produced and supported.

Licensing
      During this transition period, there are two licenses. The original vBulletin 3.X license and a new license we are calling vBulletin 4.0. The license is independent of what version you are actually running.

When you purchase a Suite or Forum upgrade, you are converting your terms to the newer 4.0 License and pricing options presented.

Software Versions
      Under your previous vBulletin 3.X license, you were allowed all updates while the license was active. You could renew that active status with a separate purchase.

Under the terms of your active 3.X license, you can upgrade to vBulletin 4.X for free. When that license expires, you must upgrade to a 4.0 license to continue receiving updates. If you do not upgrade your owned license, you can continue using the latest version accessible to you indefinitely but we are no longer accepting renewals under the older license. At that point, you would decide to upgrade to the 4.0 license or wait to upgrade until the 5.X license.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rldoughjr
        • Oct 2008

So, let me try to understand

1. I just paid you $180 for a license for 3.8 which will be supported for a short period of time until 4.x rolls over to a set point then I'm SOOL.
        2. I can now use 4.0 Forum for 1 year (or pay another $130 to upgrade to the suite).
        3. Then in 1 year I can pay you another $175 to use Forum 4.0 until 5.0 comes out.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

You can continue to use 3.8, and whatever 4.0 licenses you have access to. If you want new versions of the software you'll need to purchase an upgrade to the new license type.

You can upgrade to the suite, which is upgrading to the new license type. You can use vBulletin 4 forever, and you will recieve updaes and support for it untill it goes into EOL.

Comment

• R1lover
            • Apr 2006
            • 3.8.x

That pretty much sums it up.. I'm in the same boat with some of my licenses.

I just bought two... on the advice I saw posted here on the forum from staff that it would be better to have a current license....

I paid 180 each

now I will have to pay another 175 in 10 months.

Then in about 6 months to a year from then I will have to pay another 175 for 5.0

3 years time I will have paid 530.00 for each site I have.... lmao That's 176.00 per year average.

Very depressing...... but there are other solutions.
            www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

1. You paid $180 for an owned license. This means you get access to 3.8.X as well as 4.0 when it is delivered. You will receive all versions released until your current license expires. vBulletin 3.8 will be supported until vBulletin 4.2 is released according to the published support schedule here:

2. This is correct.

3. Only if you didn't upgrade to Suite as optioned in 2. If you upgrade to Suite under the sale now, you won't have to buy anything else until vBulletin 5.0 is available.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rldoughjr
                • Oct 2008

When does my 3.8 owned license expire?

Are you indicating that I can use my 3.8 owned license to access 4.0 without any additional fees until 5.0 comes out?

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Untill it expires, then you'll loose access to newer updates.

Comment

• Filb
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Is it required that my 3.8 license is active while 4.0 is released in order to get the free upgrade?

If so, how can I renew mine? It expires on Nov. 15th 2009.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Renewals have gone away, you can purchase a suite license, or when its available a forum only upgrade.

Comment

• rldoughjr
                        • Oct 2008

I guess I am misunderstanding leased v. owned. Which expires in 1 year?

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

If you have a leased license, when you hit that expiry date, you can no longer run the software period. With an 3.x owned license you can continue to run the software forever. Both license have always had expiry dates, the difference was one allows you to continue to run the software and the other does not.

Comment

• rldoughjr
                            • Oct 2008

So, will an owned 3.8 license allow me to run the 4.x forums without additional fees until 5.0 comes out?

Comment

• Ace
                              • Apr 2004
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by rldoughjr
                              So, will an owned 3.8 license allow me to run the 4.x forums without additional fees until 5.0 comes out?
                              Yes, but you will lose access to Upgrades once the original expiry date hits.
                              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...