Will this help combat registration bots?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedHotChili
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

Will this help combat registration bots?

I'm thinking of requiring a first and last name for registration to help combat registration bots.

Will this force registrants to enter a first and last name by specifying this in the vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > User Registration Options > Username Regular Expression:

Code:
    ^[a-zA-Z'-]+\s+([a-zA-Z'-]+\s*)+
    ...or will this only help in search modes?

I'm looking for a way to force registrants to use at least two words for a username as a means of cutting down on reg bots registrations.

Will the above expression do the trick?
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

So far I've never had a spammer use two words as their username.
    That will prevent numbers though, won't it?

Many of my members use the same username on other forums and many include a number.

How about a required hidden profile field requiring a real name?

I won't take long to catch on though.
    For a long time all my spammers would enter '1' for location.
    I have a mod that auto bans anyone with a '1' in location.
    Now they use China, USA or even US city names.

Unless I can still use all my anti-spam mods on v4, I may consider having everyone pay $1.00 to post with out being moderated.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• RedHotChili
      • Dec 2008
      • 3.8.x

Question is:

Will the following expression force registrants to enter two words for a username if this is specified in the vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > User Registration Options > Username Regular Expression:

Code:
      ^[a-zA-Z'-]+\s+([a-zA-Z'-]+\s*)+
      ...or will this only help in search modes?

In other words, if they enter only a one word username will they be prevented from registering if this is used?

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by RedHotChili
        I'm thinking of requiring a first and last name for registration to help combat registration bots.
        Have you tried using the Questions & Answers system? It works very well.

Comment

• RedHotChili
          • Dec 2008
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Andy
          Have you tried using the Questions & Answers system? It works very well.
          Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I plan to use that as well.

I think I may need to rephrase my question. I'm basically wanting to know if the expression above will force a two word username, or if that available feature is just to aid during search mode? I guess I should have just stated that without any reference to combating spammers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...