• Show
Clear All
  • Ray Morgan
    Former vBulletin General Manager
    • Sep 2008
    • 3.7.x

vBulletin Suite vs. vBulletin

Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart
    Wait, just to be clear, members will not be able to purchase the blog and project tools separately, as they have been doing?
    This is correct. Blog, Project Tools and CMS will not be distributed as separate products, but will be bundled with the vBulletin Suite.

In answer to some of the questions about this...

Why will these components only be available as part of the Suite?

There are two reasons for this change. The first is that with so many separate components, keeping them synchronized was unnecessarily inefficient from a coding standpoint. There's just too much engineering overhead to maintain them all on separate development tracks. And since we want to be able to develop quickly and get releases out to you more frequently, we made the decision to keep all components in sync as part of a single code base.

The second reason is that it provides much greater opportunities for tighter integration between the products, such as the ability to convert blog posts (or forum posts) to articles, to have forum discussions attached to CMS content, etc.

The whole idea is to make vBulletin better, faster, and these changes will help us develop new features more quickly. They will also help as we dive into the deeper round of rearchitecture with 4.1 and 4.2.

Does that mean I'll be running lots of extra code?

No. vBulletin runs only the code it needs for any given page load, so if you're not using a component, its code won't run and it won't impact the performance of the application.

Can I turn off components I don't want to use?

Yep, just turn them off from the Admin CP, and they'll be disabled.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This was originally posted in this thread:
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...