Custom field blocks in users' privacy settings: how?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • renep
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Custom field blocks in users' privacy settings: how?

Darren's list of new features in 3.8 listed under Profile Privacy:
    Also, custom field blocks can be configured by the admin as to whether they will be included in users' privacy settings
    But where is this functionality? How do I do that?

Is a "custom field block" the same thing as a "user profile field category"? I set the "Allow User Privacy Options" of a category to Yes, but the category did not appear on a user's profile privacy settings (only the standard items were there).
    "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
    - Edsger Dijkstra
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

That is the correct setting. It works fine for me in my testing. Make sure your users have this permission:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Can Edit Profile Privacy

Comment

• renep
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

I've set all the options and permissions I can think of:
      • vBulletin Options -> User Profile Options -> Allow Users to Edit Profile Privacy: yes
      • Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Registered users -> Edit Usergroup -> Can Edit Profile Privacy: Yes
      • Admin CP -> User Profile Fields -> User Profile Field Categories -> My category -> Edit -> Allow User Privacy Options: Yes

But still, logged in as a registered user, when I go to User CP -> Profile privacy, I see only the standard items (Contact Info, Profile Picture, and so on), not "My category"

I verified it on a test install of vB 3.8.1 + Blog 2.0.1, no hacks or mods, default style etc.

Is there any other setting or permission that may be causing this?
      "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
      - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

There is also this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Profile Options -> Allow Users to Edit Profile Privacy

Comment

• renep
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Hi Jake,

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          There is also this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Profile Options -> Allow Users to Edit Profile Privacy
          That's the first one in my list and it's set to Yes.

Besides, users are able to edit privacy of the builtin profile items on my forum, it's just the custom profile field categories that don't appear.

It's weird that this happens on two of my vB installations (one completely default) and not on yours. Can this perhaps be caused by the upgrade history of the forum?

Anyway, thanks for your replies so far.
          - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

We can take a look if you submit a trouble ticket with your forum and server info for the test forum:

Comment

• renep
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

I looked at the source code and I think this is a bug in profile.php. I submitted issue 27452. When I patch that line of code, the custom user profile field category indeed appears in the privacy settings.

I can't explain why it works for you Jake, unless you're running development code where this bug has already been fixed. I'm on 3.8.1 PL1, which is the latest release.
              - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• renep
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by renep
                I can't explain why it works for you Jake
                I just noticed that you created issue 27448, which says:
                This actually worked on 3.8.0
                So it seems the 'enabled' field in the $blocks array in profile.php was introduced in 3.8.1, but forgotten in the piece of code that adds the custom categories to the structure.

You're running 3.8.0 I assume, and the problem was introduced in 3.8.1. Another mystery solved
                - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

Yes, I was running 3.8.0 at the time.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...