X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • restless
    • Sep 2001
    • 3.0.0 Gamma

cihost sucks

i have a dedicated server with cihost. i just installed and setup my new vBulletin 2 days ago... my whole site is dead.

i was running UBB on a shared unix server and they disabled it because i was using too much server resource. i decided to bite the bullet and get a dedicated server. i've been running UBB on it since july when i got it set up.. and the site is slower than ever. often times, the site is unnaccessable.

i decided to switch to vBulletin because i figured that it was supposed to be a lot faster and easier on the server. i havn't even been able to access my own forum for more than a total of 15 minutes over the past day and a half.

i am so frustrated right now. stay away from cihost...whatever you do. you'd think that a dedicated server would be better than a shared hosting package. i'm paying 5 times what i was paying before.. and my site is 5 times slower.

in addition.. i was billed $990 during a month and a half period... which was actually charged to my credit card. evidently the hadn't specified "billing frequency" on the account, so i was being charged my monthly fee every couple of days.

what a loser company. now i'm stuck in a year's commitment with them... and i can't find any other company that can give me the space and traffic i need for less than $100 a month.

i have over 25gigs of transfer a month. i usually have around 30 simultaneous users all the time. i need at least a gig of space.

i'm screwed.

restless
    Last edited by restless; Mon 10 Sep '01, 9:12pm.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

as for the billing and your contract... these things are always negotiable. you should talk to the person in charge over there and get it worked out.

as for your server problems... there could be any number of things causing your performance issues and downtime. contact their support and see what they have to say. it could be software related, network related, etc. see if you can narrow down the cause.

as for other dedicated web hosts... you will find that venturesonline.com is very popular on these forums. their cheapest dedi box is $200 a month. you might do what i did and split that package with some one else who has server needs similar to yours. if you split that package you will be paying $100 a month. you might count on excess bandwidth charges though. that package comes with 25gigs of monthly transfer. if you go over that an extra 10gig block is added at a rate of $3 per gig ($30 a month).

Comment

• Nupraptor
      • Sep 2001

Sorry to hear that you had that much trouble with them. But I'm glad you posted about it, since they were one of the services I've been looking into.

Comment

• F5Hosting
        • Aug 2001

go to www.webhostingtalk.com and do a search on CIHost...makes for good reading!

Comment

• WildWayz
          • May 2000
          • 3.6.x

Yeah - they are bad.

As for contracts, when they messed me about (I got a server last Dec with them, but because of their custom build of RH5.2, I couldn't install PHP 4 so I got RH6.2 put on. Anyway, they ballsed up the IP addresses when they moved me, and wouldn't accept it was their fault for about 4 weeks... then they did accept it was their fault and gave me a new bunch of IPS. A week later when I was sleeping, one of their admins entered the server and changed all my IP addresses rendering all my clients sites to be dead), I went and told them to bog off and cancelled the server. I had emails to back me up with their ****e service, so they never chased me again.

Anyway, ditch them ASAP - ignore what they say about a year contract - if their service isn't up to par, then u can basically leave them.

Now I am with Ventures Online and have no regrets!

--James

Comment

• Neises
            • May 2001
            • 3.5.x

CI Host is notoriously bad, I've been with them for a few months - working on moving out now. There's actually sites dedicated to their suckliness:

As stated above check:

I've just signed on with:

Cannot offer a review yet.

Comment

• Neises
              • May 2001
              • 3.5.x

Rather than just say 'they suck, I'm leaving', I'll offer my reasons:

Database access is cut off for days at a time, if you complain - it's suddenly fixed (and you get a nastygram about proper channels of support). I've since heard (and believe) that they oversell & just take turns shutting down different sites, to avoid mass unhappiness... Just one or two guys hurt at a time.

Graphics and content (including staff information!) on their company information pages were pointed out be stolen from non-affiliated sites (since changed).

Comment

• kevinsdh
                • Jul 2001

PLEASE Let me tell you about them!!!!!!!!!!!

I was involved in the lawsuit a few years back when they decided to upgrade their systems. They gave everyone 36 hours and they required all IP's changed - major crapola! Their upgrade didn't work and their DNS completely every site they had - including mine. They all had to be installed manually. You could not get through to them by e-mail, phone or fax for days. MSNBC actually did an article on them probing why a company would allow this to happen without adequate back-up!!!!!! They didn't even want to give their customers credit for their major FU. THEY SUCKED AND STILL DO!!! RUN FAST AWAY FROM THEM.

About 100 of us began inundating the the hosting "ratings" sites and demanded they be removed - they were - except for their paid ads.

Anyway once online, their system components were so incompatible bandwidth was slower than you could ever imagine - the sites were usless. Oh, did I tell you they did this 3 weeks before christmas and were not back up until after the first - we had a store selling christmas related goods - almost caused us to bite the big one.

Also, they will not only charge you for additional bandwidth - which is based on peaks and not on average traffic - we also ran into them trying to charge us for number of allowable files?!?!?!? What the hell is that? What did it matter how many files as long as we didn't exceed hard drive memory limits! Real Aholes

Now this nice company would simply turn you off if any of their parameters such as allowable bandwidth was exceeded. That really hurt!

I also think they employed the United Nations and some of their people were very difficult to understand. I am for the U.N but when you have a serious problem you need to really talk with someone who speaks the same language - in this case English. This is NOT a racial remark.

THEY REALLY SUCK AT CI HOST - YOU NEED TO TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW. THEY ALSO OPERATE THEIR NT's UNDER A DIFFERENT COMPANY NAME (I can't remember what). I HAD HOPED BY NOW THEY WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS - I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE THEY SUCKER IN! DAMN THIS COMPANY BRINGS BACK VERY BAD MEMORIES!

Comment

• Voltron
                  • Apr 2001

I just wanted to agree with everyone else that CIHOST is BY FAR the worst hosting company I have ever dealt with.

I tried many times to get decent customer support and all they did was send me in circles over the phone from one person to the next. NO ONE had any idea what they are doing!

They even snaked me for 200 dollars! They are a horrible-horrible company. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

wOOt! Voltron pwns! i love transformers! (in reference to your name)

Comment

• Oct 2000
                      • 4.1.x

CI Host continues to suck

This thread is from 2001. Not much has changed in last seven years — they still suck.
                      Come to visit My Galagzee!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...