RSS Feed Posts not updating automatically

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick-harper
    • Jun 2008

I know how to create a crontab job but this will obviously need a command.

Would this just be the rssposter.rss?

Comment

• renep
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

You could wget /forum/cron.php. That's what the cronimage at the bottom of your page essentially does.

The cronimage code includes a random parameter, to prevent the request from being resolved by a cache (browser, proxy or reverse-proxy on the web server), I assume. I don't think you'd need that parameter in a wget on your server, unless you have Apache's proxy cache, Squid or something similar in front of vB.
      "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
      - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• nick-harper
        • Jun 2008

I tried setting a cronjob but nothing....

If I update it by clicking "Run Job" it says it is done but doesnt add anything.

I have to reset the last checked time and then run the job before it finds anything!

Comment

• nick-harper
          • Jun 2008

Can anybody help?

This feature was one of the main reasons I use this software and it doesn't want to work.

Comment

• copiertalk
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.7.x

Have you tried to just duplicate the scheduled task that is native to VB?
            www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

• David Grove
              • Apr 2008
              • 5.5.x

Can you look in your scheduled tasks log to see if any of your tasks are running automatically?
              ~~~~~

Comment

• nick-harper
                • Jun 2008

Yes, my other tasks like sitemap etc are all running fine.

The issue is where I need to tick the reset last checked box before I can even do it manually.

Comment

• aciurczak
                  • May 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I'm having a similar issue, but as traffic is going up on my forum, the problem is happening less and less. If you have enough traffic that the scheduled tasks are happening within a few minutes of when they are supposed to, this may be less of a problem. (look in admincp, scheduled tasks, and see when the next one is scheduled for. if it's in the future, you're fine. if it's a few days ago, you're not getting enough traffic for the scheduled tasks to be working properly).

What I also found is that if one of my RSS feeds is flaky; bad file or bad entry on the feed itself, that can hose the whole process and no feeds get updated. One thing that you may want to try is disable all feeds except 1, and make it the simplest feed (few articles, text only / no images, etc). See if it starts to run more reliably. Then as you get more confident that the configuration is correct, add more feeds 1 at a time, making sure that things are still working as you'd expect.

I think what was happening on my board is that the feeds were updating so infrequently because of low traffic, that when the job finally did run, there were so many feeds that it wanted to pull in that the mysql call timed out, and then nothing was added anyway.
                  www.montgomerybikers.com / www.ninjette.org / www.cal24.com

Comment

• nick-harper
                    • Jun 2008

How much traffic is actually needed though?

Does every site need to be massive before it will work?

I am getting around 100 unique hits a day.

Comment

• aciurczak
                      • May 2005
                      • 3.8.x

I'd say 20 - 30 hits per hour. Any less than that and the scheduled tasks can't be relied upon to be running right when you'd expect them to. Go to your scheduled task section of the admincp and see for yourself if your tasks are backed up or are up to the current time.
                      www.montgomerybikers.com / www.ninjette.org / www.cal24.com

Comment

• Rik Brown
                        • May 2005
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by aciurczak
                        I'd say 20 - 30 hits per hour. Any less than that and the scheduled tasks can't be relied upon to be running right when you'd expect them to. Go to your scheduled task section of the admincp and see for yourself if your tasks are backed up or are up to the current time.
                        We're having the same problem here. We certainly have the traffic and we used rss in the past (dropped using it for about 1 year). All the other vb scheduled tasks work fine.

If I could simply run it by our server's cron I'd do it. -- Rik

Comment

• nick-harper
                          • Jun 2008

This is not a Scheduled Task issue it is the actual RSS Feed issue

Comment

• mattyk72
                            • Mar 2004

I'm having the same issue, it won't update on it's own I have to manually do it. Really frustrating that it's not working the way you think it should.

Comment

• afullcup
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 3.6.x

We also have this issue and we certainly have enough traffic as a big board to not have that be the issue.

Comment

• Rik Brown
                                • May 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Join the Crowd!

Originally posted by afullcup
                                We also have this issue and we certainly have enough traffic as a big board to not have that be the issue.
                                Join the crowd! -- Rik

Comment