X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinpin
    • Jul 2005

iPower or iWeb or... ?

Hey Guys

Have you heard about ipower.com or iweb.com hosting? I’m wondering which one is better?
    The beauty of the Iweb.com is giving you unlimited bandwidth with a lot of storage. The ipower.com is more expensive but I heard good things about it.
    I’m kind of new in these entire web hosting. What makes one hosting better then other? I mean except the price.
    I will appreciate if you can introduce me to some good hosting.

Thanks
    Last edited by Sinpin; Fri 30 May '08, 10:10am.
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Read this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/Overselling. It will clear things up regarding cheap hosts and high resources.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• loaf
      • Jun 2007
      • 3.6.x

I came looking in here because I'm going to be leaving iPower. I saw your thread so I thought I'd give a bit of feedback...

Last year they were going to be upgrading their hosting control panel software. They asked their clients to choose a date for when they'd like to be switched over. Just in case something bad happened, they didn't want their clients to be switched at a bad time for the client. Good, right? So I chose a date for the switch and thought that all would go off as planned. Long story short, six months after the date that I had picked, they got around to upgrading me.

The site I have with them is a club site that I took over from another member after he left the club. I informed them of the change of the billing info and contact name/address. A year plus later, they're still calling me by the other guy's name.

Lately I've been getting emails from them saying that I reached the max number of connections. I'd get maybe one or two a week. I'd check the site, all was good, and I'd make a note in my head to call them about this. After another problem cropped up that actually took the site offline and cause 40+ emails to be sent to me notifying me of the issue, I called them up. They ended up bumping the issue up to the next service level and said they'd call me back. They ended up not calling, instead opting to simply update the support ticket on their site. The 40 email question got a response of "We don't know why that happened." And the max connections question was ignored. So I called them back. It seems that out of the 178 members of my board, only 10 are allowed to be on the site at the same time.

So, I'm switching...

Comment

• alemcherry
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by loaf
        I came looking in here because I'm going to be leaving iPower. I saw your thread so I thought I'd give a bit of feedback...

Last year they were going to be upgrading their hosting control panel software. They asked their clients to choose a date for when they'd like to be switched over. Just in case something bad happened, they didn't want their clients to be switched at a bad time for the client. Good, right? So I chose a date for the switch and thought that all would go off as planned. Long story short, six months after the date that I had picked, they got around to upgrading me.

The site I have with them is a club site that I took over from another member after he left the club. I informed them of the change of the billing info and contact name/address. A year plus later, they're still calling me by the other guy's name.

Lately I've been getting emails from them saying that I reached the max number of connections. I'd get maybe one or two a week. I'd check the site, all was good, and I'd make a note in my head to call them about this. After another problem cropped up that actually took the site offline and cause 40+ emails to be sent to me notifying me of the issue, I called them up. They ended up bumping the issue up to the next service level and said they'd call me back. They ended up not calling, instead opting to simply update the support ticket on their site. The 40 email question got a response of "We don't know why that happened." And the max connections question was ignored. So I called them back. It seems that out of the 178 members of my board, only 10 are allowed to be on the site at the same time.

So, I'm switching...
        Agree that ipower is not a great shared host. Out of the two options available, I had some goodexperience with iweb for a dedicated server, but shared hosting can be totally different!

Coming back to loaf's issue, 178 members online at a time is too much for a shared host! That is the kind of traffic that one would expect a high end VPS to handle, or even a dedicated sever! You may be able to find another shared host, but do expect to get a mail regarding resource / mysql connection issue from their side as well.

You have also misunderstood the number of maximum mysql connections. The 10 connection is for the live mysql connections at a time, not the number of users browsing your site. You must be able to to have up to 100 users online at a time approx., but what you are having now is much more than any shared host would allow.
        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• hostydotnet
          • Jul 2008

no

no. iweb.ca sucks all together. i have been with them for a 8 months now. they are horrible. i have had so many tickets and so many terrible technitions work on my machine. do not get an iweb.ca server unless you want to have 1-3 problems per week. it has been a complete nightmare.

its a never ending cycle of fixing stuff and then them re-breaking it. you can never tell what is broken and what is not broken. iweb.ca / iweb.com sucks. iweb.com is terrrible.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...