Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jingus
    • Sep 2005
    • 3.6.x

Spambots can't spam the PM's if they can't register.

Comment

• Andy Huang
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jingus
      Spambots can't spam the PM's if they can't register.
      http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131852
      While true, I think there may be genuine users that uses proxy to get around local network blockages or other reasons. As such, I don't ban proxy on my site personally. I made it so that new users cannot PM until they have two posts, mix that with akismet spam detection and reCaptcha -- both bundled with 3.7 series, available in hacks for earlier versions -- and it seems to work great. Of course, if they take the time to manually create a few valid post (or copy and paste from a pool of "known valid" posts) before spamming, then they'll get by, but I think that's the same as manually working around any other blocks we put in...
      Best Regards,
      Andy Huang

Comment

• needaltuna
        • Sep 2007

I too copped this "Buddhist" SPAM. I like the idea of setting up a new user group to prevent this from happening on my board again. One question, where in the admin panel do I locate the option that enables me to set the number of posts members of this new group must make before they advance to the next user group?

Comment

• Milado
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.8.x

Disable PMs for groups 2, 3 and 4. create a new usergroup that can't do anything but using PMs.
          Now use the promotion system to promote users (to this group as a secondary usergroup) after reaching a certain number of posts, days registered or reputation points.
          Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• needaltuna
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Milado
            Disable PMs for groups 2, 3 and 4. create a new usergroup that can't do anything but using PMs.
            Now use the promotion system to promote users (to this group as a secondary usergroup) after reaching a certain number of posts, days registered or reputation points.
            Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Chazel
              • Nov 2007

Will this affect the welcome PM?

Comment

• Milado
                • Mar 2005
                • 3.8.x

I don't know exactly. because I don't use welcome PM.
                Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

• globalinsites
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by AWS
                  Another username to watch out for is Jeanette. Same spam as this one, different name. I had to create a new registered user group that doesn't have PM privs to stop it.
                  Sounds good, but when are your users moved to a usergroup that does have PM privs? And how does it happen?

Comment

• Argyle
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 3.6.x

I've had Einstein and now Jeannette. Stuck both of them in the Miserable Users group and watched them bang away at it for days before giving up

Comment

• globalinsites
                      • Oct 2002

Please ignore my previous post. I was still sleepy.. With the information already given I think I should be able to set this up.

Comment

• Rolla
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 3.6.x

also add
                        [email protected]

to your ban lists, also posts as 'Stephanie' same PM spam as other messages.

Comment

• needaltuna
                          • Sep 2007

I've decided to use this mod instead of going to all the trouble of creating a new user group and then promoting the other users groups to the new user group.

Comment

• Gladius
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
                            Will this affect the welcome PM?
                            As I've stated in this thread, this way of "solving" the problem of PM spam makes Welcome PMs unusable. As such, it's useless for anyone wanting to use Welcome PMs.
                            Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• Adom7
                              • May 2007
                              • 4.2.X

hahaa

Stephanie has just registered on my site, and he/she ( whatever else) has sent pms to about 50 users.

[email protected] / 168.143.120.64

The pm issue is;
                              Hi,I'm new here, how's it going?"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein---Stephanie http://stephanie.275mb.com
                              That's why I blocked the newbies' pm using...

Buddhist PMs are better than sexual PMs.
                              That sound's good
                              Need more help!

The City of Antalya / Turkiye

Comment

• legionofangels2
                                • Feb 2007

She's a tool.

Came to my site, we caught it right away since there is a staff member that investigates all new members. She sent them out, we deleted them and warned her, probably before 80% of them were viewed.

Came back a month later, I thought this was a personal joke from a twat I got rid of before, and she tried it again, so I personally banned her and left her a message to remember.

She has not returned.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...