[pw change] Who do you think you are, really!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hosting-talk
    Banned
    • Jan 2003
    • 3.8.x

[pw change] Who do you think you are, really!

Firstly, none of your 'security questions' are even REMOTELY appropriate, and they are not necessary! I mean, come on now, really. If you're going to FORCE clients to put something into 'security', then at least ALLOW them to type in their own question.

Good god, where do people GET this garbage. Not everyone has the same hobbies, sports, girlfriends, memories, hometown,first blah, etc, and it's NOT necessary to deal with this whatsoever.

Secondly, as usual, it's NOT necessary to change passwords. I mean come on now, really? Now, those that actually DO work for customers (such as myself) have to delay their work because someone @ VB got a wild hair up their tail ends and decided to just randomly change something. Come on now!

This ha got to be the worst BS I've ever seen here.

First, you establish random login names that people will (obviously) never remember

Then, you establish random PASSWORDS that people will (obviously) never remember

Then, you refuse to allow your clients to change their own password to something they WILL remember

Then, you enforce some ridiculously unnecessary 'security question' that is just uncalled for, and INAPPROPRIATE!

What, are we dealing with a federal government here? No?
    Are we dealing with private, personal information (such as SS# , birthdates, etc)? No!
    I know, we're dealing with banking information, right? Oh, nope, not that either.

So please, for the love of god tell your clients why it is imperative that you act like your site is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more important here, that your site refuses to follow SIMPLE CUSTOMER SERVICE POLICIES when it comes to security?
  • Dilly
    • Mar 2005

What the hell are you on about?

Comment

• Swollen_Cranium
      • Nov 2007
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Dilly
      What the hell are you on about?
      Careful, if you show it any attention it will follow you home.
      http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...nium/logo4.png

Comment

• DivisionByZero
        • Jan 2003
        • 4.2.x

wow... get 'im !!!

Comment

• ---MAD---
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.8.x

I agree with the random names. The random passwords are fine but we should be able to change them too.

If someone has bad security on their PC no matter what vBulletin does, the account will either way be compromised. If they have good security, a random password is sufficient.

The random question is fine IMO.

Hosting companies don't even do all this and the hosting itself is far more important than access to download the software.

Comment

• DoE
            • Sep 2007

Working with IT security for the Department of Defense, all I can say is it is about time they implemented stricter passwords and a little more security, and hopefully vB will ensure that they are changed every three months as a minimum.

You would think that someone with the user name of "hosting-talk" would have asked 'what took so long?', and appreciated it.

---Mad---: My hosting company does "force" password changes every three months. It is one reason I went with them.
            Last edited by DoE; Tue 12 Feb '08, 6:49am.

Comment

• wtrk
              • May 2005
              • 3.7.x

I AGREE! Its a complete violation of my privacy for vbulletin to change my account settings. This is completely inappropriate. You have lost a customer in me. I will not be renewing my licenses when they expire as you have no respect for you customers. I will also soon be removing vbulletin completely from all my sites and replacing it with your competitors product.

Comment

• Dilly
                • Mar 2005

*edit*
                Last edited by Dilly; Tue 12 Feb '08, 7:21am.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by wtrk
                  I AGREE! Its a complete violation of my privacy for vbulletin to change my account settings. This is completely inappropriate. You have lost a customer in me. I will not be renewing my licenses when they expire as you have no respect for you customers. I will also soon be removing vbulletin completely from all my sites and replacing it with your competitors product.
                  Could you explain to me your view why you consider it to be a breach of your privacy?

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by hosting-talk
                    Firstly, none of your 'security questions' are even REMOTELY appropriate, and they are not necessary! I mean, come on now, really. If you're going to FORCE clients to put something into 'security', then at least ALLOW them to type in their own question.

Good god, where do people GET this garbage. Not everyone has the same hobbies, sports, girlfriends, memories, hometown,first blah, etc, and it's NOT necessary to deal with this whatsoever.

Secondly, as usual, it's NOT necessary to change passwords. I mean come on now, really? Now, those that actually DO work for customers (such as myself) have to delay their work because someone @ VB got a wild hair up their tail ends and decided to just randomly change something. Come on now!

This ha got to be the worst BS I've ever seen here.

First, you establish random login names that people will (obviously) never remember

Then, you establish random PASSWORDS that people will (obviously) never remember

Then, you refuse to allow your clients to change their own password to something they WILL remember

Then, you enforce some ridiculously unnecessary 'security question' that is just uncalled for, and INAPPROPRIATE!

What, are we dealing with a federal government here? No?
                    Are we dealing with private, personal information (such as SS# , birthdates, etc)? No!
                    I know, we're dealing with banking information, right? Oh, nope, not that either.

So please, for the love of god tell your clients why it is imperative that you act like your site is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more important here, that your site refuses to follow SIMPLE CUSTOMER SERVICE POLICIES when it comes to security?
                    Thanks everybody for responding and sharing your opinion. We've taken your feedback into consideration. If you wish to discuss the situation for you personally a public forum isn't suitable ; please start a support ticket.

No privacy has been breached. Jelsoft already knows the customer details - since you are a customer. There has been no account compromised in order to change the password. It's an automated system that did it, which just generates a new pass, overwriting the one there, not having to look at what's there already.

Comment

• wtrk
                      • May 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
                      No privacy has been breached. Jelsoft already knows the customer details - since you are a customer. There has been no account compromised in order to change the password. It's an automated system that did it, which just generates a new pass, overwriting the one there, not having to look at what's there already.
                      thats no excuse. you still shouldnt have done it. you have no right, especially without letting us know that this was going to happen. you have violated our privacy weather it was automatic or not, its still a violation and you guilty of doing it. obviously you dont respect your customers and you think were stupid if you have to take over our accounts and change them. thats incredibly disrespectful and i wont tolerate it.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by wtrk
                        thats no excuse. you still shouldnt have done it. you have no right, especially without letting us know that this was going to happen. you have violated our privacy weather it was automatic or not, its still a violation and you guilty of doing it. obviously you dont respect your customers and you think were stupid if you have to take over our accounts and change them. thats incredibly disrespectful and i wont tolerate it.
                        For legal issues between you and Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. please start a support ticket and I will escalate it to our business manager who will review it.

Comment

• hosting-talk
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2003
                          • 3.8.x

It's an automated system that did it
                          So what? Who cares whether it's 'automated' or not? Really.

We've taken your feedback into consideration.
                          Bull . If you had, you wouldn't have done this in the first place! It doesn't take much to do a bit of research and see that this kind of "change" is not taken kindly, and it is not necessary.

If we were dealing with millitary grade information, by god, I'd expect millitary grade security. Instead, we're dealing with, what, the ability to download some files! Good god

If you wish to discuss the situation for you personally a public forum isn't suitable ; please start a support ticket.
                          Voicing PERSONAL DISTASTE for this type of crap is VERY suitable for a 'forum'. It is unacceptable to pull this out of thin air on your customers, ESPECIALLY when such ridiculous "security questions" are in place.

Common sense here, people, common sense. Utilize it!

Comment

• Ranger375
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 4.0.x

If you're whining about something as mediocre as this, you have must have some serious issues.

Comment

• choppers4life
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 3.6.x

Im glad they did it. At least I have a less chance of some one finding the password and using my license on another site and having mine shut down for license violation. I guess no one thinks about that until it happens then you would be here *****ing about that and how jelsoft should have taken better security approach.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...