• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CamJM
    • May 2007
    • 3.6.x

Member sign in problem

Having an issue with member sign in.

Sometimes when I sign in, it goes to the thank you for signing in screen and comes back to the forum, except it hasn't signed in. Anyone know what this is about?
  • Indy
    • Jun 2002
    • 3.6.x

I get emailed that question several times a month from my users. (Semi-busy forum) I tell them to leave or load a different web page in the browser, clear cookies and cache. Then when they log in to the forums they remain logged in. This works 100% of the time - knock on wood!
    Version: vB 3.6.4
    RFC Server: (2) Dual Core Intel 5130 Woodcrest Processor 1333 FSB | 4GB RAM | (2) 146GB 10K RPM SCSI/SAS Hard Drives RAID 1 | PHP 4.4.4 | Apache 1.3.37 | MySQL 4.1.22 | XCache 1.2.0 with Optimizer = Off | APC APC-3.0.12p2 (temporarily disabled)
    Host: ThePlanet

Comment

• SVTCobraLTD
      • Dec 2006
      • 3.6.x

There is about 20 different vB that I visit and everyone I have this problem with. Sometimes it will go right away but very rarely. Any ideas on this?

SVT

Comment

• Indy
        • Jun 2002
        • 3.6.x

Well, I would try deleting cookies and cache. Then go to one of the forums that's giving you fits and try logging in. If it still continues, then you might want to start checking your browsers settings, like security, etc. Perhaps try another browser. If you are using IE, try downloading and using Firefox.
        Version: vB 3.6.4
        RFC Server: (2) Dual Core Intel 5130 Woodcrest Processor 1333 FSB | 4GB RAM | (2) 146GB 10K RPM SCSI/SAS Hard Drives RAID 1 | PHP 4.4.4 | Apache 1.3.37 | MySQL 4.1.22 | XCache 1.2.0 with Optimizer = Off | APC APC-3.0.12p2 (temporarily disabled)
        Host: ThePlanet

Comment

• CamJM
          • May 2007
          • 3.6.x

Indy, although your suggestions are good at solving the problem. I still think that many users would like to not have to deal with the issue themselves.

The forum I admin has a largely non tech-focused user base and telling them that in order to fix the issue they need to delete cookies and cache, check browser settings ect. would probably scare them away.

Comment

• CamJM
            • May 2007
            • 3.6.x

I'm finding this to be a serious problem as an Admin is unable to gain access at all. Even after trying to clear cache, trying on different systems ect.

By the sounds of it it's not an isolated issue.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

He is probably blocking or not using cookies.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jbird
                • Jul 2007

I have the same issue, along with a couple of other problems. Every user on the site has log-in problems.
                1.) When logging in, being redirected over and over to the login screen. Clearing cookies and changing browsers has been suggested to me over and over but this just plain does not fix the problem for us. I’ve found we can sometimes work around this by – after having gone thru that cycle once - directing to wwww.thesite/forum/index.php? but it doesn’t work reliably.
                2.) If able to actually log in and post – not being able to see new posts! Users can post something and it just doesn’t show up for them. Related to this, I suspect – the site is clearly not updating. When I just checked it now, from the index page it shows that the last post to a thread was “yesterday” – when actually, the last post to that thread was a couple of weeks ago! The whole site is just ‘off’.
                3.) Not logging OUT. When I try to log-out, it seems as though I have – but when I come back to the page, I am still logged in.

It is a small site and we all are also members on other vbulletin sites, including the one we branched off of – so my users have been and are using vbulletin without these problems for several years now. It is clear to me that it is a problem specific to the site, not something my users can correct by changing their browser or something!

It is so frustrating…nothing that has been suggested seems to make any difference and while the vbulletin support folks are being very responsive to my emails, they tell me they aren’t able to replicate the problem and so they don’t have any answers for me. The answers I get are “delete cookies” and “use the remember me function”. I can’t ask my users to keep deleting cookies constantly – especially since it hasn’t worked! – or to stay logged in constantly – which also hasn’t worked anyway! I’m hoping someone will see this that had the same problem and be able to help. Thanks.

Comment

• SVTCobraLTD
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Similar things here. I have logged out and then clicked to go back to the index and it shows me in, hit refresh and im signed out. It is almost as if the site is not truely refreshing. This happens on many sites including my brand new vB which has only one member as it is still offline because I want to fix this first. Right now I have to stick with iKonBoard until this is fixed.

SVT

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

You both need to start your own threads with all the relevant details. Be sure to remove any add-ons and template modifications first.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kjh411
                      • May 2007
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      He is probably blocking or not using cookies.
                      It was me, and I wasn't blocking anything. What I had done though, was previously log in as another user. Although I wasn't still logged in as another user when I tried to log in as me, I think I did have pages of our forum open in other browser windows.

I tried everything to resolve the issue - cleared cookies, browser cache, off line content, even re-started the PC. All to no avail. I even tried logging in on another PC. Then after a little while, I tried yet again on the original PC and it worked.

I should also point out that every time I tried to log in, I was seeing the screen that says "Thank you for logging in <username>", but then when it took me to the forums I was not actualy logged in.

Finally last night I had a similar issue with a new user who could not log in after registering. I logged in to admincp and changed his password then I tried to log in as him on another computer but experienced exactly the same issue as described above - I got the "Thanks for logging in" message but it dodn't log me in. I changed his password yet again and after a couple of attempts I could log in as him.

It's like the user has been locked out for a time but there is no notification that the lockout has occured.

This is an intermittent issue or one which is caused by a specific set of circumstances. We have seen it happen to 4 users out of 500+ who have signed up in the last week since we launched the forum.

I agree with other posts here, it is not reasonable to ask users to reset cookies or clear their browser cache, especially given that it doesn't work anyway. Nor is it feasible for us to remove all add-ons and template modifications.

Clearly quite a few of us are experiencing this problem and while some or all of us may have modified templates and add-ons, they will all be different add-ons or template mods. There is in fact only ONE common element here, and that's vBulletin!

Comment

• SVTCobraLTD
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 3.6.x

This is what worked for me....

Go to Tools > Internet Options > Under Browsing history click Settings > Click "Everytime I visit the site" and then OK. That made a difference for me and seems to be working OK now.

SVT

Comment

• jbird
                          • Jul 2007

Thanks for the hint, SVT. I'll try that out tonight!

Comment

• CamJM
                            • May 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Just wondering how you guys have found the quick fix stated by SVTCobraLTD? Wouldn't mind putting something like that in the faq.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...