X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

Microsoft Adjusts Windows Vista License

In response to complaints from users that the new Windows Vista End User License Agreement was too restrictive, Microsoft announced on Thursday that it would change the license. The new license wording is now more similar to that of Windows XP, which appeared to be less restrictive.

Previously, the Vista EULA had stated that customers who purchased a retail version of the product could reassign the software "to another device one time." Now, the license reads as follows: "You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices."

In a briefing earlier today, Microsoft told me that the new wording means that a user can reassign a single retail version of Windows Vista as often as they like. That is, they can move a single copy of Vista from machine to machine indefinitely as long as they always uninstall the previous installation. Microsoft says that the change should address complaints from the enthusiast community while protecting the company from piracy.

Last month, Microsoft's new Vista license was the subject of much debate, as online pundits and reporters speculated about the meaning of the original EULA changes. But Microsoft says it never intended to restrict users and was only clarifying a vague clause of the previous Windows license. It also argued--and continues to argue--that this clause of the Vista EULA applies to only a tiny minority of users. Most Windows users will obtain Vista with a new PC, and those licenses cannot be transferred under any circumstances. And of those users who do purchase Windows at retail, only a very small fraction ever attempt to transfer Windows to a second PC.

"This policy will change will affect a small number of customers, but we are optimistic that this change strikes the right balance for our retail customers," a Microsoft representative told me. "This change to give hardware enthusiasts the latitude to upgrade their PCs or reassign their license to a new PC, while still making clear our intentions to protect our software from piracy."

Source
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

• Freesteyelz
    • Jan 2006

I think the thread's title is a bit misleading but it's all good...

Before there are misunderstandings (as such with previous discussions on the Vista/XP EULA), only the wording has changed; not the license itself.

Comment

• Quillz
      • Nov 2004
      • 5.0.X

So what this is basically saying is that end users can install the software to various PCs for personal use? Isn't this what most people do anyway, regardless of the EULA?
      Forums

Comment

• Freesteyelz
        • Jan 2006

No and no.

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Then what is it stating? I thought it now allows you to can install the software (one instance) on multiple PCs. Originally, didn't the EULA say that you needed a new license every time you changed hardware?
          Forums

Comment

• Freesteyelz
            • Jan 2006

I'm not implying that you're incorrect; you may very well be. It's the wording, however, that gives off a different imprint of the EULA. Examples:

Originally posted by Quillz
            So what this is basically saying is that end users can install the software to various PCs for personal use?
            This infers that as long as Windows is for personal use, the end-user can install the OS on multiple systems at the same time. Nope.

I thought it now allows you to can install the software (one instance) on multiple PCs.
            This statement infers that an end-user is allowed to install Windows (1) time on multiple systems concurrently. Nope.

Originally, didn't the EULA say that you needed a new license every time you changed hardware?
            You may be referring to the OEM; and even the OEM allows the end-user to change hardware for the purpose of upgrade or because of defective parts. The OEM EULA basically states that once the OS is installed it is married to the (full) system.

Isn't this what most people do anyway, regardless of the EULA?
            Most people, I suspect, follow the EULA (without knowing it).

-------------

Retail/FPP EULA = 1 installation (instance) on 1 system (device) at any given time.

Comment

• Cromulent
              • Oct 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Freesteyelz
              Before there are misunderstandings (as such with previous discussions on the Vista/XP EULA), only the wording has changed; not the license itself.
              Uhmm, that is changing the license. The wording is what defines the license as that is what is refered to in a court of law if Microsoft takes anyone to court.

Changing the wording = changing the license.

"You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices."
              It specifically states that you need to uninstall the software first (I assume that means format the hard drive) before you can move the license to a different computer.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Cromulent
                Uhmm, that is changing the license. The wording is what defines the license as that is what is refered to in a court of law if Microsoft takes anyone to court.

It specifically states that you need to uninstall the software first (I assume that means format the hard drive) before you can move the license to a different computer.
                It depends on the point of view here. From the point of view from Microsoft and people like Joe and myself, the license has not changed. To the normal end user, license has changed.

The original license changes by Microsoft were intended to limit the installation of Windows Vista to ONE MACHINE and allows the transfer of Vista to another machine one machine at a time, with unlimited transfers occuring, so as long as only one machine had the Vista license.

The revising of the language was specifically to clear the confusion up, as the license agreement changes made it sound like you can transfer your Vista license to another machine one time and one time only.

Joe - does this license adjustment affects OEM distributions and licenses as well as mass-volume licenses??
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Freesteyelz
                  • Jan 2006

@ManagerJosh: This EULA revision is only for Retail/FPP software.

Originally posted by Cromulent

The path from A to B leads many roads but they all end at the same point. I mean you no disrespect but I've handled MS licensing issues in the past so I am speaking factually.

Comment

• Ati2
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.8.x

Then what is it stating? I thought it now allows you to can install the software (one instance) on multiple PCs. Originally, didn't the EULA say that you needed a new license every time you changed hardware?
                    What are you talking about? If you have 5 PCs, and want Windows on all 5, then you need 5 licenses.

What is confusing about this? :-o
                    Queosia - Hódító - Hódító fórum - Spirituális fórum - Spirituális oldal

Comment

• Greps
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 3.6.x

well there you go. consumer is always right. now I may actually consider buying a license. downloading would take a whole hour, which I could use to download something else instead

Comment

• Ati2
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                        Now, the license reads as follows: "You may uninstall the software
                        Just out of curiousity: how do you uninstall Windows? Is there an Uninstall program for it?
                        Queosia - Hódító - Hódító fórum - Spirituális fórum - Spirituális oldal

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh

Joe - does this license adjustment affects OEM distributions and licenses as well as mass-volume licenses??
                          Just retail, including MSDN (not associated with OEM versions)
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.5.x

im sick of seing these kinda topics joe

lol.. another thread about microsoft again, joe. thanks mr news guy

Comment

• TalkMilitary
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NashTax
                              im sick of seing these kinda topics joe

lol.. another thread about microsoft again, joe. thanks mr news guy

You can always not click on them, if you are sick of reading them. Myself, I appreciate it, as I do not have time to follow yet another forum or site.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...