Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dssart
    • Jan 2002

How-to set up RSS feed

Is there a thread somewhere on how to setup an RSS feed? I did a search, came up with a lot of questions. I see the switches in my adminCP, but I'm not about to start flipping switches without a good guide.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

A feed for your vB forums or an incoming feed? Did you check the online manual?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dssart
      • Jan 2002

Sorry, what I want to do is syndicate the content for select groups on my forum. So a person can import the feed from my forum into a RSS reader.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Here's the online documentation:

All they have to do is use this URL:

http://www.yoursite.com/forum/external.php?type-rss2

Of course you have to enable this here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> External Data Provider

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dssart
          • Jan 2002

thanks!

Comment

• kildjean
            • Jan 2006
            • 3.6.x

Hello!

I run a site called iGamix. In my site I have RSS configured and running as you can see here:

I have a friend who owns VBulletin like me, and has a weird issue with his RSS setting.

I know I have to enable the setting in "vBulletin options" ==> "external data provider".

But after I turn everything on and try the RSS I get an error saying "Safari can’t open the page “feed://www.mysite.com/forum/external.php?type=RSS2” because it could not load any data from this location."

I also tried importing his feed from my main portal site, and I get a similar error. When I go into his feed, www.gen7.us/foros/external.php?type=rss i get a blank page.

I also try to load it into my other RSS reader and it doesnt accept the link because it cant read the data.

You can try it here on his site:

Also, I dont know if this might affect it but he is running vba CMPS...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Gilbert (Kildjean)

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

The problem is that you don't allow guests to view your forum threads or you have no threads.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kildjean
                • Jan 2006
                • 3.6.x

Steve;

I verified that the site content and threads are visible from a Guest account. I know for a fact that the thread that we are trying to broadcast has content and data on it.

What else can be going wrong?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

And I have verified that all your forums are 'Private' and not viewable to guests. That is the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kildjean
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Yeah... I verified that and you were right... I changed the unregistered (or those who have not logged in) to be able to see the posts coming from the news feed... and now the rss is working well.

Now I wanted to ask one more thing...

Is there a place in vbulletin where I configure the length of the lines in the feed?

When I receive his feed in my site, it shows only 1 lines of news, where the original post has several lines. How do I do that?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

There is no option in vB to do that. I believe this is controlled by the feeedd itself.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kildjean
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 3.6.x

i understand, but i guess my question is, is there an option that controlls how much info the feed displays, this is from the site generating the feed.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

I don't know. Again this would be on the sending end, not the receiving end.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kildjean
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 3.6.x

I am asking about the sending part.

I think you are not understanding me...

ok let me rephrase.

gen7.us (the site publishing the rss) runs on vbulletin.

What I want to know is, if within vbulletin options, there is an option or a tool, to manage what type of information or how the thread is being publish in rss and I can control how many lines go out?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

No, there is no such option.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...