Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrossBones
    • Jul 2003

Reputation dilemma need help!!!

When I first set up my board, it being new and all, I wanted the reputation system to work faster -- so I changed the number of posts, for example, that would effect the rep system, i.e. instead of a point for every 100 posts I made it a point for every 10. Well that was fine except people are getting huge Rep Power now and most of the original posters have a full rack of those little 'boxes' and there is no where to go.

What I want to do is start completely over (I guess). In other words get everything back to the defaults INCLUDING the little boxes. This is where I am having trouble.

I did this: AdminCP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Rebuild User Reputation and the numbers got smaller but the little boxes didn't revert back to a lesser amount. I guess because these Rep Boxes were accumulated based on the points that were given under the system I eet up originally.

So how do I get those little boxes back to a reasonable levels and then have the system start accumulating points and power based on the default numbers in the user reputation panel?

Do I have to completely wipe out the existing rep system and let the software recaulcate everyting based on the default numbers and the current posts by members? and if so, how would I do that?

I'm really confused what to do.

Here is my site if you want to look at what I am talking about: http://www.afcwestforums.com/
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

There is a hack on vb.org that extends the reputation display for larger values.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• CrossBones
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Paul M
      There is a hack on vb.org that extends the reputation display for larger values.
      I don't want to extend it. I want to get back to the original default seetings. Seems it's developed better for the long run.

Do, still need some help!

Comment

• CrossBones
        • Jul 2003

Anybody have an idea for me?

Comment

• Alfa1
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.8.x

I'm having the same problem.
          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• CrossBones
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Alfa1
            I'm having the same problem.
            I'm thinking the only way to fix this is to first reset the numbers back to the default in the:

UserCP > User Reputation Options.

Then I think you have to go into each user and change the "Reputation Level" to something that will get that user back to a reasonable level. The little boxes will then go back to one or two depending on what the reputation level is reset to. I think you get one little box for each 100 points.

If you have a big board that is going to be a lot of work. But short of somebody who knows more about it giving us some direction I don't see any other way to do it.

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

That doesn't seem to be an option for my amount of members. And if you rebuild member reputation, then the efforst will be lost.

I had expected that rebuilding member reputation would solve it, but it doesn't. When i click it, it is finished very fast and does not rebuild reputation from the start, based upon the settings in the reputation options.

There is a reset button, but I can't find any description about what that does.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• CrossBones
                • Jul 2003

That doesn't seem to be an option for my amount of members. And if you rebuild member reputation, then the efforst will be lost.

I had expected that rebuilding member reputation would solve it, but it doesn't. When i click it, it is finished very fast and does not rebuild reputation from the start, based upon the settings in the reputation options.

There is a reset button, but I can't find any description about what that does.
                The "reset" button doesn't seem to do anything.

Comment

• royals
                  • Jun 2004

They are right - it works but it doesnt recalculate the OLD rep with the new levels.

Everyone is maxed out in points at my board because when I first started I set the rep too high. I've since lowered it but I can't reset their points. Even after running the query UPDATE user SET reputation = 0, reputationlevelid = 0; and then rebuild rep. It just populates the numbers from what they were originally worth.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

This seems to be a flaw in vbulletin.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Alfa1
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Since I have put the settings for rep power to more moderate proportion, this does not only mean that members of high repute can rate again with it having an enourmous impact.(Positive)
                      It also means that the list of members in order of reputation the will stay the same practicly forever. So the race for the highest reputation is over.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• mihai11
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.6.x

Why is nobody from the VB team handling this ?

Tell the people how to fix it or otherwise put it on your to do list for VB 3.6.4.

It's not ok to let people without any solution or hope for a solution.

Regards,
                        Razvan

Comment

• CrossBones
                          • Jul 2003

Since I have put the settings for rep power to more moderate proportion, this does not only mean that members of high repute can rate again with it having an enourmous impact.(Positive)
                          It also means that the list of members in order of reputation the will stay the same practicly forever. So the race for the highest reputation is over.
                          In the post above this one you said it seems to be a vB flaw.

Did running the query UPDATE user SET reputation = 0, reputationlevelid = 0; and then rebuild rep work after all?

I still don't know exactly what to do so I've done nothing and my rep system is just screwed up (my own fault)

Comment

• CrossBones
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mihai11
                            Why is nobody from the VB team handling this ?

Tell the people how to fix it or otherwise put it on your to do list for VB 3.6.4.

It's not ok to let people without any solution or hope for a solution.

Regards,
                            Razvan
                            Um...yes I just don't know where to go from here since Alfa1 said the solution suggested by vB didn't work.

I'm

Comment

• mihai11
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by CrossBones
                              Um...yes I just don't know where to go from here since Alfa1 said the solution suggested by vB didn't work.

I'm
                              You could open a support ticket:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...