X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thenetbox
    • Mar 2002

Uploading attachments failing

Hello,

If I use firefox to upload an attachment it starts trying to save "newattachment.php" and asks me where to save it. If I use IE7 then it says

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information "
    I have reuploaded vbulletin and I also temporarily disabled all plugins but it continues to do that.

Please let me know if this is a common problem and if I can fix it.

Thank
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This sounds like a server issue. Run the Upload Diagnostics and report back the results:

Admin CP ->Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Upload
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• thenetbox
      • Mar 2002

Thanks for the reply

The response I got was:

Pertinent PHP Settings file_uploads: On open_basedir: /home/grg/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp safe_mode: Off upload_tmp_dir: /tmp upload_max_filesize: 16.00 MB

Results No errors occurred while opening the uploaded file for reading.

That looks okay :O Strange. I don't know what could be wrong.

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      This sounds like a server issue. Run the Upload Diagnostics and report back the results:

Admin CP ->Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Upload

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

I don't see how this could happen with the default vB code.

First, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file.

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• thenetbox
          • Mar 2002

I will do all those steps. I did disable plugins and then I did a new style. I'll reupload them again as well.

Also when I went to attachment stats and if I click on the old attachments I get:

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/oldusername/www/up/235/40781.attach) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/currentusername/:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /attachment.php on line 195

Warning: fopen(/home/oldusername/www/up/235/40781.attach) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /attachment.php on line 195

Is that a reason that this is not working? Is it trying to upload to a location that does not exist? or is that something else? thanks again

edit: Ah ha I went to Attachment Storage Type and fixed path. Now it doesn't give the error but it says it's not writable so I guess i'll try to recursively make the whole folder 777

This happened when I moved servers whoopsie

thanks for the help
          Last edited by thenetbox; Fri 8 Sep '06, 2:14pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

You have open_basedir restrictions on your server. I'm not sure if you can use the server storage option with open_basedir restrictions.

However you need to create a 'tmp' subdirectory under your main www directory chmod it to 777. Then in the Admin CP set "Upload In Safe Mode?" to 'Yes' and point the "Safe Mode Temp Directory" to that directory. If you placed the tmp directory in the right place, the path to the Safe Mode Temp Directory will be somerthing like:

/home/oldusername/www/tmp

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• thenetbox
              • Mar 2002

awesome that worked. Thank you!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

You're welcome.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...