X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emil
    • Aug 2003
    • 3.6.x

White screen error?

Some of my members have been reporting that they are getting a white screen after they make a post/thread. It's just a white screen and nothing happens.

And apparently it started to happen more often after the upgrade to 3.6. I havn't experienced this problem myself, but some members are reporting it.

Do you have any idea what might cause this problem?
    DaShadyBoard.com
  • Boxy
    • Oct 2002

The white pages are generally caused by one of the following:
    1. You did not upload the vB files correctly. Reupload the vB non-image files and make sure you upload these in ASCII format and that you overwrite the ones on the server. Make sure you upload the Admin CP files to the admincp directory specified in your config.php file.

2. You do not have a config.php file in your includes directory. You need to copy config.php.new to config.php, then edit this file with the correct database info.

3. You have extra space or lines in your config.php file. Make sure there is no whitespace or extra lines in config.php either before the <?php or after the ?>.

4. Your PHP has magic_quotes_sybase turned on. You have to run this off. On *nix systems you can do this by creating an .htaccess file with this content and placing it in your main forum directory:

php_flag magic_quotes_sybase 0

5. Your PHP is not compiled with XML support.

6. Your PHP is not compiled with MySQL support.

Comment

• Emil
      • Aug 2003
      • 3.6.x

That was a quick reply! Thank you very much.

I'll go through the things you listed, and hopefully it'll solve the problem. Thanks again!
      DaShadyBoard.com

Comment

• Emil
        • Aug 2003
        • 3.6.x

1, 2, 3 shouldn't be the problem. I've re-uploaded all the files again, and I've made sure the config file is there and there are no extra spaces in it. And 5 or 6 shouldn't be the problem either.

But the white screen error is still happening.

Can you please tell me how I can check if I have magic_quotes_sybase turned on?
        DaShadyBoard.com

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Look at the phpinfo page from within your Admin CP:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> View PHP info
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Emil
            • Aug 2003
            • 3.6.x

Thanks Steve!

It says it's already turned off though :/ Any other ideas?
            DaShadyBoard.com

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

What Boxy posted are *all* the known causes of white pages. AFAIK it has to be one of those.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• gsk8
                • Jun 2003
                • 4.2.x

Is PHP Version 4.3.10 sufficient?
                Paula

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...