X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJA
    • Dec 2001

vB 3.5.4 Crashing IE 6.0.2900?

Hello.

I use Firefox and suggest my forum users use it as well, but several insist on using Internet Explorer. Since my upgrade to vB 3.5.4, I've had users complain that the forums were crashing their browser, specifically IE.

I tested the forum on IE and found it to crash as well. I read a few entries in these fine forums and reverted to default styles and templates, but IE still crashed.

Is this a bug with vB or IE? Any suggestions?

I've placed a "Get Firefox" button with link in my signature, global announcements, and in answer to a "suggestions" forum. I'm not having this problem with Firefox or Safari.

Thanks!
    Thanks,

DJA
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

I've never had a crashing problem with IE before apart from a problem with bad parsing on certain pages with HTML enabled. The new parser with 3.5.x fixed the possibility of those occuring.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

No bug with IE or vB regarding this. It may be from a customization you've made.

To troubleshoot this, remove any hacks and disable your plugins, then see if you still have this problem.

If so, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.

Next, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

FWIW my IE has crashed completely about 4 times now since the latest IE security update. This happens on any web page and is not connected to vB.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DJA
        • Dec 2001

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try.
        Thanks,

DJA

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...