vB Search - When is it going to get optimised!?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MGSteve
    • Sep 2002

vB Search - When is it going to get optimised!?

Given that a single search is now running out of 32mb of ram on my server & giving a PHP Out of memory error, when are Jellsoft going to address this and actually write a search function that doesn't eat up memory like its going out of fashion?

I know I can just keep extending the memory limit in PHP, but tbh, a) I don't see why I should and b) I don't really want to give PHP access to 48mb per thread.

I'm running 3.5.2 and its been like it since before I upgraded to 3.5.2 from a pre 3.5 version.

I can't use the mySQL full text search as it doesn't index words less than 3 characters long and I due to the subject of the site, we often have people searching for 2 character strings.

Please Jelsoft, will you ditch the current search engine you've got and write a leaner, more optimised version that people on my site can actually use!
    Regards

Steve.
    www.mg-rover.org - Forum for MG and Rover owners everywhere!
    85k users and 4million posts & growing.
  • Freddie Bingham
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • May 2000
    • 1.1.x

The non fulltext search has been deprecated since 3.5 was released. The answer for the various issues with the vB search was the fulltext search. In the future we plan to reduce the strain of searching by investigating changes in the post/thread structure but it will be done using the fulltext search.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...