X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MicroTechXP
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.5.x

Big Question

I have been hacked over 3 times on IPB www.mtechxp.com As I am right now!!!

Right now I have been hacked again. Now all I nead to know is that is vB almost hack-prrof? Better than IPB?
  • Rob B
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.6.x

You seem to have a problem to negotiate with another site. Doesn't matter what forum software you get, someone determined enough can hack into it if you don't make sure everything is secure, and if you are getting hacked this often, you must be leaving something insecure. Something not got the right CHMOD setting, weak password or something.

From what I can see, the best form of hacking defence for you would be to settle the score with that other site. And buy vB

Comment

• billybob bo buck
      • Apr 2006
      • 4.2.X

That really sucks! Go with vB and you will see magical things happen!!!!! Lmao!
      Last edited by billybob bo buck; Wed 26 Apr '06, 2:59pm.

Comment

• Quillz
        • Nov 2004
        • 5.0.X

Originally posted by billybob bo buck
        That really sucks! Go with vB and you will see magical things happen!!!!! Lmao!
        Such as? If you don't have anything useful to post, please don't post. This doesn't really help out the thread starter in any way.

That said, both IPB and vB are very secure pieces of software, backed by a full development team. I have not heard of many instances of either IPB or vB being hacked. And when I do, it's almost always caused by brute force; that is, the cracker simply guessed the root admin's password.

So is vB "hack-proof?" Of course not. No software is. But vB 3.5.4, 3.0.14 and 2.3.9 are all very stable and secure. Likewise is IPB 2.1.5. If you are currently using IPB and are happy with it, then there really isn't much reason to purchase a vB license.
        Forums

Comment

• MicroTechXP
          • Apr 2006
          • 3.5.x

^Thanks a lot...but is this much more secure because I really like it a lot!

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

At the moment, no. Both vB 3.5.4 and IPB 2.1.5 have no known major security exploits. And if any are discovered in either product, expect a security fix to be quickly released.

If you really like vB a lot, though, why not try out an online demo? You may find that you prefer it to IPB, and would like to purchase a vB license.
            Forums

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
              • Jun 2004
              • 5.1.x

IPB and VB are both secure products overall. However, no piece of software is ever fully secure. Like what was stated above, if someone wants to hack into your account that bad...its gonna happen no matter what software you use.

Comment

• MicroTechXP
                • Apr 2006
                • 3.5.x

ok...but do you think I will do better with vB?

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

Do I think so? If you are happy with IPB, then no. Both products are quite similar, and each have their own advantages and unique features. If you do not like IPB at the moment, then you should try out the online vB demo and decide for yourself.
                  Forums

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

There is probably another script on your site that is being exploited to get into IPB. What other scripts like Joomla, etc. are you running?

Comment

• OS,
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MicroTechXP
                      I have been hacked over 3 times on IPB www.mtechxp.com As I am right now!!!

Right now I have been hacked again. Now all I nead to know is that is vB almost hack-prrof? Better than IPB?
                      dude u shouldnt even be asking such a question, its written across the face of vb, man vb is like rock steel, lol! ive had people attempt my vb and they couldnt do poo!

VB is 110% hack proof! I dont think ive heard any cases of VB being hacked, hence u pay a good price for a good quality product! If you purchase vb today, and if u ever get hacked i'll personally refund your money! :P lol but dont take my word for it nor quote me on that! Im just exaggerating..., but take it from me, vb is the best forum in the world so far!

So many possibilities man its countless, all the major companies that i know like the 3g mobile network in the uk use VB for their forums!

Youve come to the right place dude purchase today!

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                        Former vBulletin Developer
                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Quillz
                        At the moment, no. Both vB 3.5.4 and IPB 2.1.5 have no known major security exploits. And if any are discovered in either product, expect a security fix to be quickly released.

If you really like vB a lot, though, why not try out an online demo? You may find that you prefer it to IPB, and would like to purchase a vB license.
                        There is a security hole with IPB 2.1.5 that was fixed yesterday, they dont increment numbers when something is patched which I think causes confusion.

But other than that it depends on how secure the server is underneath, the forum might be unhackable but if someone has an account on your server then they can do whatever you want.

It might not even be the forum that is the entry point, SQL Injections from a chatbox or an arcade is another source. Then there is all the other sorts of scripts people install. After that you have the security of the machine of every admin on the board. If you can find their attack vector you can block it.

Apache supports blocking of IPs so you could block all the IPs access to the admin panel then selectively allow people access.

If they have access to the filesystem then all of those changes do not matter since they just edit a file and run the query.

We do however run a very strict security policy at vBulletin regarding the admin panel, we force a login on the admin panel and set a special key to identify it as a login session. If you get logged out you must re-enter the details you can't use the "Remember Me" function, this helps prevent those who steal cookies from gaining admin panel access.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• MicroTechXP
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 3.5.x

I had already updated it but I still got hacked!

I really want to make the right choice thats why...

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

Can you list any other PHP and Perl (whatever.pl) scripts you are running? Mambo? Joomla? Coppermine? Menalto Gallery? Guestbook? Formmail?

Comment

• MicroTechXP
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 3.5.x

I used to run Joomla but I deleted because I was going to install a better CMS latter and I did'nt get a chnace.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...