Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Make Money?-old
    • Aug 2005

Search a little messed up?

I have a user ccompaling that my forums search functionality has 'gone off' a little...

Here is his note...

-------------------------------------

You normally don’t want to search for phrases, ………this is too limiting If you want to find all threads that contain:

"Blah" "Blooob" "bleh" "Blaaaah"

you don’t want to find these only as a phrase, but instead you want only threads that contain all these words (in any order).
    This was occurring automatically until recently…….the search function knew that if you put in several words, you wanted threads that contained all of them in any order.

I agree, there is probably a way to tell it to do this now……………….I just can’t figure out what it is.
    Thanks,

Mike

--------------------------------------------

Do I need to tweak something to get it back to the way he says we had it?

Thanks in advance...

• Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Have you changed anything recently?

Comment

• Make Money?-old
      • Aug 2005

Here

Is another post from a member...

Hi,

I used to put in 2 words with "and" in between, and would get results that contained both words. Now I'm getting results that contain one of the words, and sometimes neither of them.

I started a thread to see if anyone could help me, and others seem to be experiencing the same thing.

I changed the search limit - from 20 sec's back to 10 sec's.. We had a DoS attack - and changed a bunch of stuff.. to limit server load.. I forget now..

So I am a bit - stuck as for what to do....!

Any ideas?

Sorry to be so vauge....

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

If you turned on Fulltext search and Natural search, then you will get the crappy search results you describe. Natural search is a desparate measure for very busy forums to keep from crashing.

Comment

• Colin F
          • May 2004

Yep, that's most likely it.
          Give the appropriate usergroups the right to use the Boolean search...
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Working...