Importing From one VBulletin to another... With another hitch.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ACE_Spark
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.5.x

Importing From one VBulletin to another... With another hitch.

EDIT: Ergh, sorry, ive accidently posted this in the incorrect section! (misclick) Could someone move it to the correct section? Thanks.
    Hi, i've recently perchased VBulletin, and am trying to import data from one license to another.

The situation is a little more tricky than usual how-ever.
    Currently, my "forum" is a subforum to the VBulletin forum Megaman Community. (I do not own
    (The subforum in question is the following.)

The forum which I have recently brought (fresh install) is:

Basically, I want to transfer the posts from the subforum (I am in contact with the owner) onto my own forum.
    The license owner of Megaman Community seems to be mostly worried about me getting his license details, as the only option he can see, is if I was to get the entire forum MySQL dump, which includes the License details (according to him.) as well as the rest of the subforums, etc.
    Is there any way for him to dump the data from the subforum so I could import it into my forum? My "members" would most likely be upset at the loss of their posts.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ACE_Spark; Tue 25 Apr '06, 5:32pm.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

<Moved to Import forum>

I don't see any easy way he could do that. He would have to make a backup of his entire db, restore it to a new db then setup a new vB with the config.php pointing to that database. He could then remove all the posts, styles, forums, users, etc that he doesn't want you to have. After this he can make a backup of the pruned database for you.

And nothing in the db would compromise his license.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jerry
      • Dec 2002
      • 1.1.x

There are two issues that will need to be addressed here, users and pruning.

To import the post and have them valid, you would need the users accounts associated with them as well, unless you wanted them all to be guest posts.

If the person you are getting the subforum from is willing to help, you can do a import & prune, or a copy & prune.

So get them to copy their site then prune it down to what they are willing you to have, which is the easiest, then you import what they give you.

Second is do an import then they prune what they don't want you to have, and give you that dB.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...