• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Safety Admin
    • Sep 2005
    • 3.5.x

Character Limit?

Hi folks!

I am re-wording a post I have made a couple of times already just so perhaps someone can understand what my problem is and assist.

When "Starting a new Thread" is there a character limit for this?

I am using my vbulletin as a subscription service for Safety Rules and Regulations and some of the topics (Each thread) are in excess of 100 Pages of data which comprise of more than 200,000 characters each.

I have seen a few people give me their best guess as to what I can change that would help but so far no cigar.

Perhaps the developer could update the code to make UNLIMITED characters per new topic/post.

And before you tell me to go to the cpanel, I have already turned everything to unlimited in that.

It's when I hit "submit new thread" that it just hangs there for 90+ seconds and it times out.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by Safety Admin; Sun 23 Apr '06, 8:23am.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Maximum Characters Per Post

The timeout issue is a PHP configuration problem. The max_execution_time setting is too low to complete this operation.

To temporarily up your limits edit your includes/config.php file and add this line right under the <?php line:

ini_set("max_execution_time", "240");

If you still have this problem, then increase the '240'.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Dec 2000

It's times out because that is a gigantic amount of data to parse, it may only be 190kb of data but does it have any formatting in it?
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Safety Admin
        • Sep 2005
        • 3.5.x

I copy and paste from word which is the original text files. I will try what Steve suggested with the ini_set("max_execution_time", "240"); and let you all know what happens.

Comment

• Safety Admin
          • Sep 2005
          • 3.5.x

Well, I have tried as Steve suggested but that did not help. I even changed the value to 5000 with no luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Then something else on your server is cusing this. Enable phpinfo in the Admin CP, then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Public phpinfo() Display Enabled

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Safety Admin
              • Sep 2005
              • 3.5.x

Ok, I did as you asked here is the link

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

One other possiblity is the 'post_max_size' setting. Try increasing this to 32M.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Safety Admin
                  • Sep 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Is that also in the config.php?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

No, it's in php.ini.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Safety Admin
                      • Sep 2005
                      • 3.5.x

Steve,

Is there a chance I can give you my server info and vb admin info and let you log in and look? I really have no idea what I am doing and think you could probally do this with your eyes closed.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Generally we do not like to mess with server applications and files because if something goes wrong we do not want to be responsible, You need to ask your host to do this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Safety Admin
                          • Sep 2005
                          • 3.5.x

Alright...

So I will call my host and ask them to change the

'post_max_size' to 32M

How about the "max_execution_time" in lieu of the 'temporary'
                          ini_set("max_execution_time", "5000");

Is there a way to change that in the php.ini so that I can take that code out of the config.php?

Thanks for all your help Steve.. I really appreciate it

John

Comment

• Safety Admin
                            • Sep 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Ok, well I called Startlogic and they said that the server that this account is on is shared with 600 other customers and thus they 'refuse' to modify anthing in the php.ini... My option is going with a Virtual Server, and then I have control over everything... Which is what I think I am going to do... I'll follow up with you in a couple of days when they get this all setup for me.

Thanks again Steve!

John

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Hmmm...it may be that you are asking too much for the seerver and hosting plan you are on. You can try adding this to your config.php temporarily to see if this resolves this problem:

ini_set("'post_max_size", "32M");

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...