X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

So.. I think my monitor bit the dust

For awhile (at least a year+) my ViewSonic A90f+ would oddly resize itself and look funny, I shruged it off for a long time. Tonight while playing wow it started flickering and resizing and having a weird picture (brighter than normal and totally disfugured). We wiped on the boss, so I shut down and disconnected thinking something might be lose(I did some cleaning inside and unhooked everything earlier). Afte ri unpluged it, it said it still had a single, but was grainy like static on a tv almost, with nothing pluged in, after plugging it back into my pc, it was just as grainy but darker.. not by much. It effects the entire display, including the OSD.

Its more than out of a warrenty as it seems my monitor is at least back from 2004 (when I was building this machine). The warrenty was only good for 1 year .

On the upside I've got a Dell LCD monitor here to keep my time and work while I figure out what I want to do for a new monitor.

If its just the cable, is it hard for an authorized serivce center to fix it? assuming one is close?
    Would I be better off just buying a new monitor? If so, any recomendations? I'm not overly picky but I really must have 1600x1200, in anything above 17". LCD or CRT won't matter much to me.

I really like view sonic, and I hope this monitor was a fluke, but im open to all suggestions.
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

It'd probably cost you more to get it repaired than to buy a new one.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

I had already figured as much :/

Now I'm just looking for suggestions mostly

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I'm looking at another view sonic modle, unless someone can tell me otherwise why I shouldn't?

Buy ViewSonic G90FB Black 19" CRT Monitor 0.20mm horizontal x 0.13mm vertical; 0.25 diagonal Dot Pitch D-Sub with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I was trying to do some gaming today, and it was sad to be gaming at less than 1600x1200

Comment

• Mac Write
          • Oct 2001
          • 4.2.x

My Sony 17 200sf bought December 12, 1996 (only monitor) still is working (as it's my only monitor). I paid $1,125 Canadian for it back then (retailed for like $1,300+). Wonder why it still is working so well (other then the flickering spit it has once in a while since 99').

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

Viewsonic's are pretty nice
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Dean C
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.x

I am using two 19" Viewsonic X912's. They're pretty nifty, but the resolution is 1280 x 1024 maximum (I think)
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I'm hoping the issues I had with view sonic were just a bad monitor from bestbuy.

Looking at the graphic serries one it looks high quaility and has a better range of support.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Personally I wouldn't buy viewsonic. Sorry to hear your monitor's dying. No warranty anymore? Some offer 3 to 5 years.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Mine was one of those weird ones, decent features but no long term support (1 year only and not eligable for extension).

If you wouldn't buy a view sonic floris what would you buy? I don't really want a LCD as the cost is more than I want to pay and I can get a simliar CRT for less with more.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

I have always used the iiyama & sony monitors simply because their colors are just brilliant. iiyama also has quite good support. I had a fault aligned monitor and without any trouble I could come over to their workplace and check out their repair and alternatives, etc. I have enjoyed my 514 master pro 22" one a long time, and even after so many years I could hardly get rid of it (mentally), but could sell it for quite a bit. Because quality was still excellent. These days I wouldn't dare going back to CRT anymore, TFT all the way for me. Especially with those nice 24" dell monitors.

If money isn't an issue I would probably have purchased EIZO or Iiyama.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Sony doesn't make CRTs anymore, And I personally game alot so a CRT is not much of an option for me. The colors in my dell lcd are not nearly as vibrant or clear in comparsion to my monitor that died.

I can only find Iiyama's in the 19in area that all must be shipped to me. which is not a prime option. Ontop of that their monitors don't quite look as nice. (reminds me of my old mac).

Why would you suggest to stay away from ViewSonic though?

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

I don't really get it sorry ...

I don't really want a LCD
                          and now
                          so a CRT is not much of an option for me

I thought you meant with LCD a TFT monitor.

Comment

• filburt1
                            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Zachery
                            I really like view sonic, and I hope this monitor was a fluke, but im open to all suggestions.
                            Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

You know you want it.
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

I doubt his videocard is dvi dual link.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...