• Show
Clear All
  • almqdad
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

"20 concurrent connections."

hi

my host company says

I double checked with my Admins, and the current connection cap is set to "20 concurrent connections." I was also told that well most well written code "doesn't even need 5 concurrent connections. MySQL connects and releases the conection really fast."
    like this

H have been getting few db error

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    /home/vrfihres/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 279

about once or four times a day

I want to know wether "20 concurrent connections." is enough for a forum with maximum 50 online

thanks
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I was also told that well most well written code "doesn't even need 5 concurrent connections. MySQL connects and releases the conection really fast."
    Your host is not being truthful (or is incompetent.) The number of connections is directly related to how many people are accessing your forums at the same time. It has nothing to do with the code.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• almqdad
      • Feb 2004
      • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

Hi

but does "20 concurrent connections." seems to be fine for shared host

I must say i have very little problems with them

i feel the number 20 looks little

I was expecting some thing like 200

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Dec 2000

It depends on how busy the forum is, if more than 20 people visit in a second then it wont be. It also depends if your page links to other scripts that require database connections and dont piggy back on the vBulletin one.

Shoutbox, Advertising Tracking, Topsites etc
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

No. A limit of 20 concurrrnet connections is not reasonable at all. My advice is to find a more suitable host. This one is lying to you which is never a good sign.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...