Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaFish
    • Oct 2003

wmv issues

I post a good amount of videos as attachments. Avg size 5-15mb. For the most part, they work.

However, there are issues. In any browser, sometimes just clicking on the attachment leads to a codec error (even though there is none). This is much more common in FF than IE. Right-click and save in IE is fine, but in FF it attempts to save as attachment.php, which most users don't understand. Most users also don't try to save the file even when instructed to anyway.

So I thought maybe I'd wipe out the mime type, see what happens. I did that and simply clicking on the attachment in FF gives a "save" option. It says XML as a file type, but saves the file correctly. Perfect. However - in IE it still opens Windows Media Player, but gives an error, so I added the mime type back.

For reference, I'm using this in the mime type field:
    Content-type: video/x-ms-wmv

So I'm thinking maybe I'll modify attachment.php to only deliver the mime type if it's an IE browser? Just thinking outloud about this situation, looking for any suggestions from someone who might have run into the same problem.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

As long as the mime type is correct, then it is up to the browser to correctly handle the file. File handling problems like this aren't unheard of.

Comment

• VodkaFish
      • Oct 2003

While I don't diagree in a theoretical sense, my users are having a problem, and it's only within vBulletin (wmvs all play fine as direct links), so I've got to come up with some sort of solution. Right now the if/else for a mime type is the only thing I can think of and I'm just hoping someone has done this or something else already with some good results.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Dec 2000

The rightclick problem is a Firefox bug, its a regression between Firefox 1.0.x and Firefox 1.5 and is apparently working as expected.

We have a bug report for it and it links to the Mozilla bug report.

Regarding WMV codec issues, Freddie has been working on another report at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs3...iew&bugid=2316
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• VodkaFish
          • Oct 2003

Yeah, the right-click thing is a shame. I could have made a little "if wmv, post rightlclickline" in my script as a reminder everywhere. Hopefully it changes in the future.

I've offered Freddie a chance to test anything for 3.5.4 over on my site as I could get a lot of feedback quickly. Thanks for the links.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...