Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SusanE
    • Mar 2006

AOL Users Receiving Emails

I have noticed that none of the emails being sent from my VBulletin reach AOL users.This includes activation emails, but also the emails that users sometimes want to receive when they mark a forum to email them when new messages are posted. Any ideads?

Thanks much.

Susan
  • SaN-DeeP
    • Dec 2003
    • 1.1.x

What bounce back message you are receiving from AOL ?
    This should be due to policy changes at AOL, adoption of new accreditation and Anti-Phishing services, not only you everyone should be affected by this.

this is a kind of pay-to-send-email-to-AOL system
    TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• SusanE
      • Mar 2006

I do think most vb's are affected by this based on my reading about activation emails here.

I don't get any kind of failure notice, the emails just go off in to the abyss and are never received!

Thanks for your attention to this question!

Susan

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

Same here.
        I use the hack

And in the waiting for confirmation message that is displayed I ask AOL and Netscape users to use the contact us link so I can confirm their email address. It is a royal PITA. In my case it might have something to do with my nameserver but it has everything to do with AOHell.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• SusanE
          • Mar 2006

Bummer. I can get around the activation email problem by using the contact us link, but the ones who choose to be notified when there are new posts (subscribe) to a thread, I can't really handle.

So this problem is on the AOL side then? I think I will contact them.

Thanks much for all your replies!

Susan

Comment

• Christie
            • Oct 2004

Same problem here, one of our moderators is with AOL and not getting forum emails, she has contacted them by email but no response so far.

I'm on BT and had a similar problem recently not getting any emails from our forums. Messaged them about it and they put their own response into my spam box - what hope is there . Did get it sorted with BT though and am now getting my mail.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

I get vBulletin mail blocked too, the spam filters appear over eager to mark something and people dont usually read their held folder to check for false positives.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• SusanE
                • Mar 2006

Possible Solution

I don't know how helpful or possible this is, but I spent some time chatting with the AOL postmaster and learned that the problem is most likely that the IP addy for our board does not have a RDNS specified.

You can check the IP for your board by going here:

www.dnsstuff.com

It will also help with failure notices for other mail services, such as comcast.

I have emailed our programmer to find out if it is possible to specify a reverse DNS for our IP to relieve this problem. I don't have an answer yet you techies probably know if this is simple or completely impossible.

Best regards,

Susan

Comment

• martyn_16v
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Our DNS settings are fine, but still all of our emails to AOL users get bounced back with a 554rlych error. I've asked AOL to set up a 'feedback loop' for us so we can examine if we are actually currently being clicked as spam.

I have had a look at their whitelist policy to see if we could apply for that, but those bits of it I did understand seemed way over the top.

Comment

• Christie
                    • Oct 2004

Have been having a problem today trying to send an email to a recipient who's on AOL. Am sending via my private email address with a link to our forum. AOL keep bouncing it back to me with the reason:

EXPLANATION:
                    Your e-mail contains a redirecting URL which AOL's servers will not accept.
                    SOLUTION:
                    Please remove all redirecting URLs from your mail and try your message again.

I wonder if this could be why activation emails are not delivered because they contain a link?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

I'm not sure what the 'redirecting URL' means. Can yyou find any info about this from the AOL site?
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Christie
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        I'm not sure what the 'redirecting URL' means. Can yyou find any info about this from the AOL site?
                        All I can see about 'redirecting urls' is what I've already quoted from the error message on AOL's site. Would try contacting AOL support but the link isn't working.

In the email I sent there was a link to our forum url plus a link to a thread, there was also a picture embeded in the email.

I removed all the links and tried sending it again, but it bounced with the same error message.

When I removed the embedded picture and tried sending again it went through.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...