X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

It's finally happened: Finally, Windows 98/Me Move Towards Retirement

Microsoft has begun alerting its customers that three of its legacy Windows versions--Windows 98, Windows 98 SE (Second Editon), and Windows Millennium Edition (Me)--will be retired as of July 11, 2006. That is, these products will exit the Extended Support phase and Microsoft will cease providing any support.

"Microsoft is ending support for these products because they are outdated and these older operating systems can expose customers to security risks," a note on Microsoft's Web site reads. "We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible."

Read More
    Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Thu 13 Apr '06, 11:08am.
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

• KingSpade
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.x

It's good to see Windows ME support being dropped. They probably received quite a few support calls and requests for the OS. I had the operating system for all of one day and re-installed it 4 times on a brand new computer system, tried different drives and hardware, still nothing.

The shop laughed when I brought the CD back (it was their gift to me, I considered it to be more of a joke once I started using it).

Can't say I honestly used Windows 98 too much. I was stuck on Apple's back then .

Comment

• Bema Jinn
      • Mar 2003

Windows 98(SE) was the best OS of ye olden times (pre-XP)

the most stable and usable windows i've ever used.

Comment

• Quillz
        • Nov 2004
        • 5.0.X

I never had any issues with Win98 SE. I simply upgraded to WinXP to stay with the times, though.
        Forums

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Quillz
          I never had any issues with Win98 SE. I simply upgraded to WinXP to stay with the times, though.
          Same here, Win98SE was a great OS, but it good to see them moving on, and dropping support for 98/ME. It helps me out alot..
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• roosevelt
            • Jul 2004
            • 5.0.X

Win 98 was pretty good. Especially you could play old games like Doom I and II. But after switching to XP it wasn't the same and yes there are new stuff. But you can't forget about fun you use to get by playing those classic games and running those applications you know .
            Out to Change the world!

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

I'm happy, means we can stop supporting IE 4 soonish.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.8.x

Anyone remember the game Quake and Quake II, god that was a good game..
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

Originally posted by roosevelt
                  Win 98 was pretty good. Especially you could play old games like Doom I and II. But after switching to XP it wasn't the same and yes there are new stuff. But you can't forget about fun you use to get by playing those classic games and running those applications you know .
                  Doom runs fine on WinXP with zDoom.
                  Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...