Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkoepke
    • Mar 2006

Importing custom fields larger than 250 char

I am having trouble importing custom fields larger than 250 char. I created the custom fields from within the admincp, then modified the import process to pull the custom fields. All works fine when the fields are less than 250, but when they are over 1000 the process just doesn't import the users. I just get 0 records.

Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
    david
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Honestly I don't see how you could have done this since the profile fields are limited to 250 characters. You will need to edit these fields in the database directly to change this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dkoepke
      • Mar 2006

I used the admincp to add the custom fields and created them as 1000 char. The impex ignores them if they already exisited.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

As I said you will need to edit these fields in the database directly to change this.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dkoepke
          • Mar 2006

That's strange, because like I said when I created them through the admincp, it set them all to the correct length and made the profilefields all medium text, so... anything else you can think of?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Have you checked the database like I've asked? If so, what is the type for this field?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• dkoepke
              • Mar 2006

Forgive my ignorance and hope I don't sound strange... this is all new to me so I am learning as I go along.

What I have after having created all the custom fields from within admincp users fields is the table profilefield has one record per custom field and the types are all over, input is for char that can be less than 250. Text area is for ones that are larger for 1000 char and select for the ones that I have defined as drop down lists.

for userfields the field types are mediumtext on most and some are char250.

What if anything do I need to change? Also the import program doesn't error out or provide any kind of feedback, just doesn't import anything when those fields are included in the code.???

Thanks for your help.
              David

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Try changing the description field in the profilefield table to mediumtext.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• dkoepke
                  • Mar 2006

Tried that, same results

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

I don't know what to tell you then. Perhaps you could provide more details about the exact error you are getting.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• dkoepke
                      • Mar 2006

Ok I have been testing and testing with this. here is what I get.

I get to a certian point and the next field I add to the select statement for the MS Sql read just breaks it. Doesn't matter what field as long as it is over 250 char, its breaks. The application doesn't error out what happens is I get the screen where it would start to display all the usernames scrolling, and it just sits there for a second with 0, then goes back to the import menu with no records imported. Also when i run profiler, it calls the first count and then the first select statement with nothing after that.

Any ideas? Anything else I need to describe for you to help me?

Thanks,
                      David

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Nope sorry. I know nothing about MS SQL.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Jerry
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 1.1.x

What system are you importing from ?
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• dkoepke
                            • Mar 2006

Importing from Snitz on MS Sql.

Comment

• dkoepke
                              • Mar 2006

Any ideas on this? I am held up on this project till I can get it resolved.

Thanks,
                              David

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...