X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeG
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.8.x

Forum Archive Policies?

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic ... pls move it if it should be elsewhere...

Our forums (forums.mtbr.com) are getting rather large...
    1,700,000 posts
    51,386 members
    175,000 threads

Our posts table is almost 1GB large. I've been preaching and preaching to our site's owner that he should prune old messages, users, posts, etc. But each message, potential page view, is $$. He balks at pruning anything.

So is there a reason why exporting threads to real .html isn't in the software? (the /archive/ directory only works if you want to keep stuff in the mysql database.) I need to make the posts table smaller. (I also want to change the index to full-text, but it took 13 hours on our dev server. That amount of downtime is ... bleh.)

The con side of a "real" .html export is that the vB search engine will not work on flat html files... only google will work for that ... and that is ... bleh too.

Maybe if I can get some real-life examples of pruning ... some sort of pruning based on thread inactivity … or some formula to determine which dead, uninteresting, troll threads should be pruned? Maybe if I get good suggestions from this community I can convice the powers at hand that pruning is the norm ... and vB communities expect it?

Anyone else face the same issues?

LMK

- MikeG
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Pruning is what most people do. You can prune based on thread inactivity.

I have also heard of people using ImpEx to actually export threads to an "archive forum" on a different server in order to free up some resources.

Comment

• MikeG
      • Nov 2004
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      I have also heard of people using ImpEx to actually export threads to an "archive forum" on a different server in order to free up some resources.
      But doesn't the ImpEx just Import? I don't see any code that exports vB data. Is exporting flat html files something that might be included in a future release?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

There is no built-in function to export data, except to generate a mailing list.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Dec 2000

They use another vBulletin license and make it read only and then import from the main vBulletin to this secondary one.

MySQL 5 has some new storage engines that might help though it really does depend on what the problem is. Is it the searching thats causing the problems?
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...