X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orix
    • Apr 2006

Help me please

Hello,

I'm a French Vbulletin user, we migrate our vbulletin from versus 3.0.9 to 3.5.4 this week, and we 've got some problem.

A fu#!$ guy try to hack us every time, when he registers in our forum, we ban him immediatly, but yesterday, this is what he has done :

- he was on the forum home panel (not connected so), and he has entered this line on his browser address :

http://www.xxxx.com/forums/login.php...u=YY&i=9861262 HTTP/1.1" 200 3965 http://mail1.voila.fr/webmail/fr_FR/...romSubmit=true

Where YY is the userid, he manage to generate a new password and receive it in his email box, he could do this for any YY (userid).
    Then he could enter to the forum and change the userid email.

This guy manage to change the email of any user (admin too) and he manage to enter to the admin cp panel !!

Since 30 mns, he manage to ban the admin without entered in the admin panel.
    Perhaps there is a chmod problem on my site, and he manage to execute some sql request.

The team of http://forum.vbulletin-fr.org help me too.

Please help me
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

So you're running 3.5.4 and this problem is occuring?
    Do you have any plugins installed?
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Orix
      • Apr 2006

Hello Colin,

Yes we use this 3.5.4, and the only plug-in that i have installed , it is this one : http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83003

In fact, with this plugin, we could see who is using Admincp panel at any time.

With the 3.0.9 we've got the problem too.

Thank a lot

Originally posted by Colin F
      So you're running 3.5.4 and this problem is occuring?
      Do you have any plugins installed?

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

If the exploits started before the upgrade, that makes sence. You've been running 3.0.x until March 30th when you've downloaded 3.5.4, so only recently you've upgraded to 3.5.4

This could mean the user created another admin, or got access to the config.php file somehow and knows how to connect to the database and does his actions like that.

Could you please email your apache weblog file in a .zip to floris [at] vbulletin.com so our developers can take a look and see if there's an isuse with 3.5.4?

Ny the way, it might also be possible he got access to the site through SPIP: http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/17130

Comment

• Orix
          • Apr 2006

Ok Floris, we will change our password in our config.php

I will send you our log now.

Thanks

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Go to the admincp > usergroups > usergroup manager > and see if any strange users have been added to the admin & mods usergroups. Or perhaps a custom usergroup has been created with admin privs.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

This usually suggests the user already has access to your database somehow either via another script, phpMyAdmin or some vulnerability within a plugin.

The code for sending lost passwords works as follows:

User enters email address associated with their account
              Fetch userid, username, email, languageid from user where the email = <user entered email>
              We then send an email with the details to the user specified from the data we retreived from the database, not the user entered email.
              The id value we use is inserted into the database and we wait for the user to visit the link.

Next step is for activation:
              Get userinfo for userid in querystring
              Get activation information, id and dateline
              Check dateline was in the last 24 hours
              Check activationid passed in is equal to that in the database
              Delete activation id
              Update password

The fact he banned you without entering the admin panel sounds like he has database access, if is is a shared host then you should bring this up with your hosting provider.

Also check your access logs for apache and see if you can trace his steps.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Orix
                • Apr 2006

Ok i have verified it, and no group have been added, i think that if he has the password in config.php, he could do all what he wants in our database (create an admin use by example).

Originally posted by Floris
                Go to the admincp > usergroups > usergroup manager > and see if any strange users have been added to the admin & mods usergroups. Or perhaps a custom usergroup has been created with admin privs.

Comment

• Orix
                  • Apr 2006

Thanks Scott for these informations.

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  This usually suggests the user already has access to your database somehow either via another script, phpMyAdmin or some vulnerability within a plugin.

The code for sending lost passwords works as follows:

User enters email address associated with their account
                  Fetch userid, username, email, languageid from user where the email = <user entered email>
                  We then send an email with the details to the user specified from the data we retreived from the database, not the user entered email.
                  The id value we use is inserted into the database and we wait for the user to visit the link.

Next step is for activation:
                  Get userinfo for userid in querystring
                  Get activation information, id and dateline
                  Check dateline was in the last 24 hours
                  Check activationid passed in is equal to that in the database
                  Delete activation id
                  Update password

The fact he banned you without entering the admin panel sounds like he has database access, if is is a shared host then you should bring this up with your hosting provider.

Also check your access logs for apache and see if you can trace his steps.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Let me know when you mailed me, because my pop3 doesn't show a new mail yet.

Comment

• Orix
                      • Apr 2006

03 mails for you Floris

Hello Floris

i have send you the first email, (of 3 email)

Thanks a lot

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                        • Dec 2000

After reading the logs there is no sign of this person doing anything mischevious, he simply requested a lost password, a few minutes later he activated it and then changed the password.

The only explanation is that the user is able to change the email address within your database somehow. It's only available within one part of vBulletin and thats on the editpassword screen.

Did userid 25 that was hacked use voila.fr for his email since thats the next usual entry point, he did actually have access to this email.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Orix
                          • Apr 2006

Hello Scott,

In fact, i think you are right, he certainly have access to our ftp and our database, so he has changed easly email address in database, and retrieve them normally via the forum panel.

The userid 25 didn't use voila, but the lamer have an email box voila.fr.

In fact this lamer have access on our database, and change any email for any userid (change the register email by his email) and then retrieve the email normally !!

I am really fed up this this fu#!$ guy !! but it's our fault. I wonder how dit he find our ftp our database access password

We asked our hoster to give us the database log.

Thanks a lot

After reading the logs there is no sign of this person doing anything mischevious, he simply requested a lost password, a few minutes later he activated it and then changed the password.

The only explanation is that the user is able to change the email address within your database somehow. It's only available within one part of vBulletin and thats on the editpassword screen.

Did userid 25 that was hacked use voila.fr for his email since thats the next usual entry point, he did actually have access to this email.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                            • Dec 2000

If the FTP password was an easy one then it is very possible he has brute forced it, if not then someone with the password may have a trojan / keylogger type virus installed. If they all come clean then he's most likely gained access to your server some other way.

If it is a shared host then its possible he is another customer on the box or he has exploited another script anywhere on the server to allow himself to upload files.

If you have the SQL password its just a case of "UPDATE user SET email = '[email protected]'" to change the password.
                            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Orix
                              • Apr 2006

I think that he use a brute force software.
                              It is a shared host, but how could i check on the host his script ?
                              For the SQL password, i don't understand what do you mean with lamer at lamer . com

Thanls

If the FTP password was an easy one then it is very possible he has brute forced it, if not then someone with the password may have a trojan / keylogger type virus installed. If they all come clean then he's most likely gained access to your server some other way.

If it is a shared host then its possible he is another customer on the box or he has exploited another script anywhere on the server to allow himself to upload files.

If you have the SQL password its just a case of "UPDATE user SET email = '[email protected]'" to change the password.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...