X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homer Simpson
    • Apr 2006

Using VBulletin for internal LAN only.

Hi all,

I work for a large company with a lot of knowledge and experience about to head out the door due to retirement. We are looking into using a community forum to share operating experience and knowledge.

I dont know very much about LANS or networks, but what I want is the forum to be run on our internal INTRAnet only. It could not be accessable or viewable through the INTERnet.

Could this be done?? What is required?? I have not yet contacted our IT department, I want to have a good idea of what I need before diving in.

Thanks very much,
    Chris.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

More than possible, just need an internal webserver, setup to run php, mysql and some http server.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Dec 2000

We have several customers who use vBulletin internally for internal staff communication, as Zach said you only require is a web server connected to your local network.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• madspoon
        • May 2006
        • 3.6.x

Hi,

You can consider me another customer who is using vbulletin as an intranet/extranet or will be....

I am using it more or less as a CMS(?) "read only board" for technical/parts bulletins for our dealer network (Being an automotive distributor) I find vbulletin is a very good interface for people with little or no net knowledge to use. And the friendly skins give it an easy read feel.

I have a number of questions though and this thread seems apt.

An example of my basic set up is:
        Aftersales
        >Parts
        >>Accessories
        >>Pricing
        >>Procedures
        >Technical
        >>Campaigns
        >>Procedures

Now I have set up user groups which have access to some forums and not others.
        What I intend to do is subscribe a user to a forum (I am creating the users they are not registering themselves) so that every time a bulletin is posted they are emailed but my concern is that through the userCP they might change settings or unsubscribe.

Is there a way of removing certin userCP controls or hiding them from menus/options? Or is there a recommened "skin" that is more CMS/extranet orientated? (Less user menu/nav bar options)

Forgive me if these options are in the adminCP and I have missed them. It is more of a vertical climb than a learning curve for me! I have no prior IT knowledge.

I hope the above makes sense!
        Many Thanks for any help provided!
        David

Comment

• Colin F
          • May 2004

David,

All you can do is edit the templates to remove the links to unsubscribe.
          I don't know of a CMS/extranet-like skin.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...