Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amaranth
    • Jan 2006

Forum displays incorrectly as nonsense PHP in browser

I have just installed a fresh copy of vBulletin 3.5.4 now and have run into some serious trouble... The forum is not displaying properly or it is displayed as if the browser is reading the actual index.php file, instead of interpreting it? I have no clue what's causing this, but could it be some sort of cookie issue? Have the files been corrupted during transfer? What could be the cause of this?

The same problem occurs occasionally with the admincp as well, during the log-in process...
    The site in question is http://www.desguise.com/forum/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Amaranth; Sun 26 Mar '06, 9:01am.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I get:

HTTP 404 Not Found

Reupload the original vB files. Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Amaranth
      • Jan 2006

Re: Forum displays incorrectly as nonsense PHP in browser

Thank you kindly for your reply.

This did not work, I'm afraid. The reason for the 404 was exactly that I was trying to re-install the forum, also tried with version 5.3.3, with the same error. I transferred the entire 'upload' directory as 'forum' to the FTP-site in ASCII mode.

Here is some extra information, if that can help locate a solution:
      • I'm using FlashFXP to transfer the files.
      • The domain provides MySQL 4.1+ and PHP 5, so I have configured 'config.php' to use mysqli and 'true' to ignore unsupported issues in 4.1+.
      • The database is completely fresh and empty

I have already written a Support ticket, but Zach suggests it's a PHP update at the domain-provider, which I know is not the case... Hope someone can help me, been sitting here for five hours now :/ hehe
      Last edited by Amaranth; Sun 26 Mar '06, 10:09am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Your site is showing fine for me now:

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Amaranth
          • Jan 2006

Seriously? Oh no, could it be as simple as a local security setting?? I just tried another laptop, and on that one Internet Explorer is prompting for which program to use to open the site... Is this a known issue? I have tested on Opera, Firefox and Explorer - all of them only produce a white page with nonsensical text... I now have tested turning of windows firewall, the virus software - to no avail...

Do you have any advice on how to proceed, please?
          Last edited by Amaranth; Sun 26 Mar '06, 10:29am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Did you enable GZIP in the Admin CP? Sometimes this problem is caused when your server is already using GZIP and by turning this on in vB you were double compressing. This causes problems with some pages but not others. It also happens to some people and not others.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Amaranth
              • Jan 2006

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm have trouble reaching the admincp at this point, I'm getting the same error on that page as the errors... I did come in there earlier, but not now... Something going wrong after I enter my username and password. But I do get the admincp log-in screen 100% of the time... Will report back.

Comment

• Amaranth
                • Jan 2006

Yes!!! You, my good man, are a star! That was it - the GZIP setting to No! solved the problem. Aaah... Time to go buy a Coke and have a smile

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Glad it worked.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Chris 96 WS6
                    • Feb 2006

I'm going to hijack this thread since I'm having a similar problem. I just changed VPS hosts, and randomly, but particularly when I hit "New Posts" or "today's Posts", Firefox prompts me to d/l search.php. I turned Gzip off in admincp and its still happening.

Comment